The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   looked a horse today, need advice (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/looked-horse-today-need-advice-150476/)

nicolerm 01-19-2013 07:14 PM

looked a horse today, need advice
 
A friend and I went and looked at a 5yo registered half arab gelding today that I was interested in purchasing. The seller's asking price is $600. He seems like exactly what I am looking for, but was a little lame on his left fore, with some swelling and heat in the pastern. The seller hadn't noticed. We didn't ride or work him much after discovering the issue, not wanting to worsen it.

After untacking we asked if she had a regular vet she would call to have him vetted and she said she wouldn't do that, her husband wouldn't let her spend the money.

So what do I do now? My brain tells me to move on, but this horse is exactly what I am looking for and the price is very good. It seems stupid to get a PPE on a horse that I saw lame with my own eyes today. But what if it was just a minor passing issue? Should I find a vet to come look at the pastern in a few days and if he is still lame call it quits then? If he is sound at that point I can ask the vet to continue with a full exam. The horse is 2 hours away so unfortunately I most likely won't be able to be there for it, and it really frustrates me that I'll have to vet her horse myself for an obvious issue if I want to buy it.

Cowgirls Boots 01-19-2013 07:31 PM

125 Attachment(s)
I'd pass if it were me.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 01-19-2013 07:34 PM

Is he worth the PPE price? Personally, I'd pass.

grayshell38 01-19-2013 07:38 PM

Will they let you do a trial? You could take the wait and see approach and if he is still lame or at least has no improvement in those two weeks, send him back? Tough to say....

usandpets 01-19-2013 07:43 PM

It's not the sellers duty to get the horse checked out for you. Especially using their normal vet. Yes they should if they feel it is something major needing immediate attention for the horses well being.

If you were to get a PPE, you'd want to have an unbiased vet do they exam. Not saying their vet wouldn't but you don't know.

Maybe, if you're really interested in this horse, talk to the owner about splitting the cost if they want to find out why the horse is lame.
Posted via Mobile Device

Golden Horse 01-19-2013 07:43 PM

The trial idea could be the best route to go. I wonder how you know he is just what you want if you haven't ridden him yet?

Spotted 01-19-2013 07:43 PM

usually the buyer pays the vet.
In this case it could be something small.
you could ask to put a deposit and see if he is better in a week . If not you get your money back.

nicolerm 01-19-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayshell38 (Post 1851903)
Will they let you do a trial? You could take the wait and see approach and if he is still lame or at least has no improvement in those two weeks, send him back? Tough to say....

I asked about a trial and she said she wouldn't do that either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by usandpets (Post 1851907)
It's not the sellers duty to get the horse checked out for you. Especially using their normal vet. Yes they should if they feel it is something major needing immediate attention for the horses well being.

If you were to get a PPE, you'd want to have an unbiased vet do they exam. Not saying their vet wouldn't but you don't know.

Maybe, if you're really interested in this horse, talk to the owner about splitting the cost if they want to find out why the horse is lame.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know that a usual PPE is the buyer's responsibility, but to me that is in the case of determining unknown issues. This horse's issue was apparent, but she didn't want to have him vetted for it.

I got her vet's info so that I could choose a different one if I decide to have him looked at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Horse (Post 1851909)
The trial idea could be the best route to go. I wonder how you know he is just what you want if you haven't ridden him yet?

We both rode him, just not hard.

usandpets 01-19-2013 08:03 PM

It could be that they didn't feel it was bad enough to call the vet. That it would get better in time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sharpie 01-19-2013 08:10 PM

Pass for now. If you're still looking in a month, and he's still for sale, AND he's sound again, take a second look and then get a good PPE done.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0