The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Genetic knowitalls take notice! Lol (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/genetic-knowitalls-take-notice-lol-150506/)

Breezy2011 01-20-2013 02:04 AM

Genetic knowitalls take notice! Lol

Okay, so I am not planning on breeding a horse anytime in the next 10 years.

I am very curios though to this:

Lets say a stallions can only produce dun horses. You breed him to a mare that can only produce lets say black horses.

What will the foal turn out to be, because the sire and the dam can only produce 1 colour of foal... but different colours.

I am just curios, so please share your thoughts.

Blue Smoke 01-20-2013 04:49 AM

I am by no means an expert, but I would say either grulla (black dun) or bay dun depending on the agouti status of both parents. Homozygous black means they will never produce a red based foal. Bay, brown, black, grulla, etc are all black based either with or without modifiers, and all can be homozygous for black without actually being black.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiilaa 01-20-2013 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy2011 (Post 1852265)
Okay, so I am not planning on breeding a horse anytime in the next 10 years.

I am very curios though to this:

Lets say a stallions can only produce dun horses. You breed him to a mare that can only produce lets say black horses.

What will the foal turn out to be, because the sire and the dam can only produce 1 colour of foal... but different colours.

I am just curios, so please share your thoughts.

This is where you are underthinking it. Dun is a modifier, not a colour.

There are only two colours of horse - red (chestnut) and black. Everything else, every other colour in the miriad of coats in the horse world, are modifications of these two bases.

This guy is homozygous for black:

http://www.horsesofgold.com/ASH/Drif...0Traveller.jpg

This girl is homozygous for dun:

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...lute-pleft.jpg

Now, without being facetious, I can tell you are talking about your filly. That does narrow it down somewhat, because we can see what she carries (mostly). However, without knowing what else the stallion has, and without knowing if your filly is EE or Ee, there is no way to narrow down what colours to expect.

Breezy2011 01-31-2013 11:37 AM

Thanks, but I was actually not talking about my filly, I was talking about, any horse because I am curious! Although, if I ever decide to breed, this would be good to know (but I will unlikely breed HER ever)

Okay, so lets say a stallion could only produce chestnut and the mare could only produce black?

Does that make a little more sence? One base colour can only be produced by each of the horses.

What would the foal be?

kassierae 01-31-2013 11:47 AM

If you breed a homozygous red(ee) to a homozygous black with no agouti(EE) you get a heterozygous black(Ee). "E" is dominant over "e".

ETA- That is barring any genes that don't express on the base color(silver and agouti on chestnut, cream on black, etc)

Breezy2011 01-31-2013 11:50 AM

Okay, that makes sense, and what if they were both EE or ee? I am just trying to learn a little more about genetics!

kassierae 01-31-2013 11:52 AM

Two homozygous black(both EE) would make black. The only gene they can produce is E. Two chestnuts(always homozygous ee) make chestnut.

TexasBlaze 01-31-2013 11:53 AM

If one parent is EE (homozygous black) and the other parent is ee (homozygous red) They will give one black gene and one red gene. BUT black is dominant and red is recessive meaning that the black COVERS the red. So the horse will be black based always. BUT it also means that the resulting foal could GIVE a red gene and have a red foal.

Breezy2011 01-31-2013 11:54 AM

Okay thanks! So for any two black horses bred, you will always get a black?

TexasBlaze 01-31-2013 11:57 AM

Not always. Ee (black with a red recessive gene) bred to a Ee (black with red recessive) have a 25% chance of throwing a red gene per parent and producing a ee or red foal.