The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What kind of bit is this? (

Strange 01-20-2013 04:10 PM

What kind of bit is this?

I'm pretty familiar with most types of bits and bitting arrangements, but I've never seen something quite like this. Is anyone familiar with this bit or have any idea what it's called and how it functions?

Iseul 01-20-2013 04:13 PM

I have no idea..but Im subbing coz I wanna know too, haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

Strange 01-20-2013 04:18 PM

Ah, nevermind. I finally found something. I had to adjust my search terms a bit.

It's called a Wilson bit. Primarily used as a driving bit but occasionally used for riding horses. It works with a squeezing motion on the sides of the horse's face, rather than at the corners of the mouth. (Credit)

Chevaux 01-20-2013 04:18 PM

I believe it is a type of snaffle bit; don't know what the mouthpiece is like though as that can come in different styles. I've seen them used before on jumpers and assume that is because the design keeps the bit alittle more stable in the mouth.

AnneGage 01-20-2013 04:23 PM

It looks like a Watson double ring snaffle. Click here to see a photo and a full description of how it works.



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome