The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   I am saddle stupid. Can you tell me what mine might be worth for selling? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/i-am-saddle-stupid-can-you-150578/)

Shoebox 01-20-2013 05:25 PM

I am saddle stupid. Can you tell me what mine might be worth for selling?

10 Attachment(s)
My saddle came with my horse. It is unmarked, but it's been a very good saddle. She was a trail horse for a long time for a barn that did pay trail rides, so it's gotten considerable use and is still well intact. It's entirely leather. The only reason I am looking to sell is because I think the seat is too big for me (it's ~17 inches) - there's a lot of space between me and the pommel, and I'm constantly shifting myself back into the seat. It makes my knees hurt after a while, my old BO said it's because I keep sliding forward and it screws my position up. Sorry for the not so great lighting - I would take the pictures outside, but it's FREEEEZING and windy and miserable. So I had to settle with near the window. As I said, I'm saddle stupid - I have NO idea what I should be asking for it / expecting for it.

Also, please don't mind the messy house - we're doing some hefty rearranging and cleaning, so there is stuff everywhere. Also, we have a dog. So there is dog hair everywhere.

The only damage seems to be where the leg leathers rub on the saddle. On one side it's just worn a bit, on the other the stitching is coming undone, which I plan on fixing to the best of my abilities. You can see this in the last two pictures.

LeahKathleen 01-20-2013 05:28 PM

It looks like it's in pretty useable shape and of decent quality to me, so even unmarked, I bet you could get $350-$400 for it. The only reason I don't say more than that is because of the amount of wear on it, though that obviously doesn't affect the functionality of it, so you should still be able to get that much for it.

Shoebox 01-20-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeahKathleen (Post 1852968)
It looks like it's in pretty useable shape and of decent quality to me, so even unmarked, I bet you could get $350-$400 for it. The only reason I don't say more than that is because of the amount of wear on it, though that obviously doesn't affect the functionality of it, so you should still be able to get that much for it.

Yes, being an ex-trail business saddle, I'm sure it was used all day, every day, by all sorts of people! You're right, it doesn't affect functionality - it's still a fantastic saddle, and has weathered well through so much use.

Also, if anyone can tell me what kind of saddle it it? I know there is barrel saddles, trail saddles, etc. Can you tell just by looks?

LeahKathleen 01-20-2013 05:58 PM

Looks like a roping saddle.