The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Coat sunscreen? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/coat-sunscreen-150622/)

MangoRoX87 01-20-2013 11:56 PM

Coat sunscreen?
 
http://www.horse.com/item/quic-screen-coat-sunscreen-spray/SLT052898/

Spring will be here before you know it! I was wondering of any of you guys have used this and what you thought of it? I have a dunalino that I want to keep as DARK as possible without bleaching in the 115 degree heat and all the nastys that come with summer.:P
Posted via Mobile Device

MangoRoX87 01-21-2013 07:05 PM

Bumpity?

JustWingIt 01-21-2013 10:47 PM

never used that kind but ive used this with some success:
Healthy Haircare Sunflower Sunscreen in Color Enhancing at Schneider Saddlery

Missy May 01-23-2013 08:34 PM

Paul Mitchel makes a sunscreen for hair (or use to anyway). I use to use it on my own hair (braided) b/c it was very long and the sun would just murder it. Out of curiousity I used it on a buckskin - his coat color was amazing for about 3 weeks after he slicked off before it started sunbleaching. I applied it to his rump to "see"....and the product in fact worked. It could be a bit pricey, though, if your horse consistantly got in water, i would think.

oh vair oh 01-24-2013 02:56 PM

This is going to sound silly, but when I had a black horse I would go to the African American section of the hair care department. They have all kinds of sprays with sunscreen in them to protect their hair. I am a fan of the "Pink". ;)

gypsygirl 01-24-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustWingIt (Post 1855309)
never used that kind but ive used this with some success:
Healthy Haircare Sunflower Sunscreen in Color Enhancing at Schneider Saddlery

do you apply it every day ?

my horse is black and bleaches like crazy ! im tired of her fly sheet rubbing her in the summer and it doesnt even help that much !

countercanter 01-25-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh vair oh (Post 1859921)
This is going to sound silly, but when I had a black horse I would go to the African American section of the hair care department. They have all kinds of sprays with sunscreen in them to protect their hair. I am a fan of the "Pink". ;)

I get most of my horsey hair care products in the ethnic hair section at the store. Way better and way cheaper than most of the stuff at the tack store. "Pink" is amazing stuff haha.

JustWingIt 01-25-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 1859990)
do you apply it every day ?

my horse is black and bleaches like crazy ! im tired of her fly sheet rubbing her in the summer and it doesnt even help that much !

When I used it I made up a mixture of it and fly spray so yes it got sprayed on him everyday but that was at half power and it still worked pretty well. I bet if you didn't do it EVERY day it would still work :)
Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0