The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Equines (http://www.horseforum.com/other-equines/)
-   -   Donkeys biting legs? (http://www.horseforum.com/other-equines/donkeys-biting-legs-150647/)

Army wife 01-21-2013 05:41 AM

Donkeys biting legs?

So, I know almost nothing about Donkeys. But there are 2 at the rescue ranch that I volunteer at. These poor guys have chewed open their legs, to the point that they are raw and bleeding :/ I was told that it's a self inflicted wound caused by fly annoyance. Does anyone know anything about this? How to help them or anything? TYIA

FaceTheMusic 01-21-2013 06:36 AM

There are 3 jacks at the barn where I board. Every summer they all get big wounds on their legs and so do some of the mules. It is caused by the flies. The mules and donkeys are much more sensitive than horses so the flies irritate them a lot more.
From what the BO has told me, they have tried everything to help the donkeys to no avail. No fly spray lasts for more than a few hours and fly repellent leg wraps don't seem to stay on very well.

Sorry I can't help but I know how bad you feel for them.

2BigReds 01-21-2013 01:22 PM

What about fly guards for their legs? Not sure if the donks would keep them on, but they sell them for horses.

Defender Fly Leg Wraps 4-Pack - Horse.com

Also just noticed they're on sale, almost half off! Great if you want to try them and see if it will help without risking much money. Best of luck!

2BigReds 01-21-2013 01:31 PM

There are these as well. The reviews are kind of all over the place for both, so it's hard to tell if the product works or not without actually buying it.

Kensington Pony Fly Boots - Horse.com

littrella 01-21-2013 05:36 PM

I use the Kensington ones on my mini & they work very well

stevenson 01-21-2013 07:41 PM

are they biting each other ? when you see donks or horses actually fight they do go for the legs. If it is flies, have you tried Swat ? or adding skin so soft to the fly spray mix? sometimes plain old vaseline will work.

Army wife 01-21-2013 10:09 PM

Usually what they do, is put swat on their legs, and then put stockings over them. Kinda like a homemade version of the leg wraps you guys posted...?? I don't think is is caused by them biting each other, although those boys do play pretty rough. We've seen the same thing on other donkeys on the island who are alone. What will SSS added to fly spray do?

stevenson 01-21-2013 11:31 PM

SSS helps repel biting bugs, and helps the fly spray stay on a little longer.

Army wife 01-22-2013 01:14 AM

Thank you!! I'll give that a try!

MissColors 01-22-2013 01:21 AM

Also it could be mites. Just a suggestion.
Posted via Mobile Device