The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Friesian Bridle/Ranch Horse Prospect? Please Critique! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/friesian-bridle-ranch-horse-prospect-please-150670/)

Wanstrom Horses 01-21-2013 10:43 AM

Friesian Bridle/Ranch Horse Prospect? Please Critique!

3 Attachment(s)
I don't know very much about Friesians. But this guy really caught my eye. I'm not a huge fan of appys, but he's stunning! And I just can't get over how flashy he would be at a ranch rodeo. He's a few hours away from me, so I'd like to get a few opinions on him first before I drive all that way. I'm waiting on other pictures, so at the moment these are all I have. He's a 3 year old and already 15.3 hands, started lightly with 15 rides. Would he make a good spade bit and ranch horse? I know it's a bit unconventional, but I like to stand out! Thanks in advance!

Schulzs89 01-21-2013 11:34 AM

I don't see Friesian really at all, but a nice looking a horse. It's hard to really critique with those photos though.
Posted via Mobile Device

HorseGuru 01-21-2013 11:36 AM

That's not a freesian

Friesian Horse Association of North America - FHANA

lilruffian 01-21-2013 11:38 AM

I see Friesian in the second photo but he is definitely not a purebred.
The photos arent the best for critiquing but from what i can see, he has a nice shoulder and good depth through the girth.
Neck is short compared to his back, which is almost on the long side.
Steep slope to the croup but otherwise his hindquarters are not bad.
Front legs look alright but i cannot say about the backs at all without him standing still atleast.
Very flashy & handsome horse for sure, though

DancingArabian 01-21-2013 11:39 AM

I don't see Fresian in there either. The Fresian crosses I've seen aware more drafty than that horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wanstrom Horses 01-21-2013 11:40 AM

Sorry, thought I added, he is friesian/appy cross!! Sorry!

lilruffian 01-21-2013 11:41 AM

Quite possible then ;) Not all horses cross out the same

cowgirl4753 01-21-2013 11:47 AM

friesians tend to take a bit longer to come into themselves. A friend of mine breeds them, and they dont really start looking like much till 4 or 5. Hes got the potiential there, and I know you know horses so if something about him caught ur eye, go for it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Wanstrom Horses 01-21-2013 12:00 PM

The owner is sending me pictures of his front and rear end and a squared up profile. I will post them as soon as I get them. He said he's really low in the pecking order and he got a little thin when he turned him out, but he is starting to gain his weight back. I have a vet lined up for a PPE and I'm going to take a look at him next week! My husband thinks I'm crazy because we only usually ride paints and QH, but I really like the looks of the horse. The only thing I can really see about him I don't like is, like lilruffian said, his back is a tad bit long. But he's is still growing and I'm hoping maybe he might grow into it. Thanks everyone! :D

cowgirl4753 01-21-2013 12:01 PM

Oh and for a little extra info, my friend does cattle work with her mare, and she loves it. has even done some team roping too!
Posted via Mobile Device