The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   i'm really confused!!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/im-really-confused-15068/)

few0320 09-22-2008 08:58 PM

i'm really confused!!!!!

ok so yesterday my pony was sooo aggressive towards me, as many of you have read, but today he was like a new pony. my neighbor came over so i could clean out his pen and then we wound up taking him over to her house "to mow her lawn" LOL and then her 6yr old grandaughter and her son in law came over. her son in law has alot of experience because his dad owns horses, so he wanted to see him in his saddle. so we put his saddle on and he decided to lead Leroy around with his daughter on and it was like he was a perfectly broke pony. my 18 month old son rode him and a 6yr old girl and he seemed to really like it. i'm so confused, he is a completely different pony today. i also worked with him at feeding time with the whip and i never once had to use it on him, everytime he came in my direction i just hit it on the ground and he took off in the other direction. i feel alot better about being alone with him, i'm not afraid of him, getting over that fear was very easy after i saw his reaction to the lunge whip. now i'm just confused, maybe he's bi-polar or has multiple personality disorder or something, LOL. If anyone knows the real reason for this change in behavior please let me know.

SonnyWimps 09-22-2008 10:02 PM

possibly he was just really nervous in the new place and was just adjusting...or he realized not to argue with you hehe

But I must say that 2 years old (that is his age you said, right?) is too young to start a horse. Give him another year or so before starting him. It's better for him and his joints.

Wild Child 09-22-2008 10:44 PM

As Sonny said, he might have just been a bit nervous at his new house, and he thought he might be able to boss you.

I dont mean to be mean, but dont get too carried away with him. He is only young, and well, they dont have all that much 'brain' at that age. Try not to think TO much, that he will be good from now on, they all have their good days, and well they all have their bad days.

Just wondering, did you decide to try the way I suggested, with the whip? (You were getting so many fantastic answers !!)(I thought that might be handy one day aswell !)

Well, Sonny, I think you're right, 'little pony' didnt want to get on the wrong side of you Few !!

Wild Child 09-22-2008 10:46 PM

I just saw your pic, and is that the little terror in the pic, lol...

few0320 09-22-2008 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Child
I just saw your pic, and is that the little terror in the pic, lol...

yes that would be Leroy, i should have named him dr. jeckel and mr. hyde that would be much more fitting.

Dumas'_Grrrl 09-23-2008 03:45 PM

Sounds like Leroy decided that you meant business. I'd hazard a guess that he will challenge you now and again. Just stand your ground with him.

BTW- He's a cute little bugger!

Vidaloco 09-23-2008 04:42 PM

I have 2 of the terrible 2's so I know what your going through. I think the more you work with them the better they are. They still have that "I'm going to test you today" attitudes so you can't let your guard down like you can with an older horse. One time you think you have a bad habit gotten rid of and the next day its back.
They have really short memories at that age so consistency, patience and eyes in the back of your head :lol: are your best weapons.

few0320 09-23-2008 09:33 PM

ok so leroy was gelded today, OMG i will never own another male horse ever again. i never want to have to put another horse through that and i never want to have to go through that again. he had to be sedated 3 times and as soon as the vet was done stitching the second cut he tried to get up and fell over, he did this about 10 times before we finally got him back under control and it took 3 women sitting on him to keep him down, that worked for about 10 minutes. so needless to say this was a very bad experience for me and i'm sure for leroy as well. i'm glad i did it and i know he will be too in a couple of days, but i will never do it again. Oh yeah the vet says she thinks he is mixed with a mini horse, i was told he is a shetland pony, but everyone else thought he was too small, but thats ok i love him anyway.

Wild Child 09-26-2008 03:37 AM

How is your little fella been going lately ?
Behaving himself ?

Angel_Leaguer 09-26-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by few0320
ok so leroy was gelded today, OMG i will never own another male horse ever again. i never want to have to put another horse through that and i never want to have to go through that again. he had to be sedated 3 times and as soon as the vet was done stitching the second cut he tried to get up and fell over, he did this about 10 times before we finally got him back under control and it took 3 women sitting on him to keep him down, that worked for about 10 minutes. so needless to say this was a very bad experience for me and i'm sure for leroy as well. i'm glad i did it and i know he will be too in a couple of days, but i will never do it again. Oh yeah the vet says she thinks he is mixed with a mini horse, i was told he is a shetland pony, but everyone else thought he was too small, but thats ok i love him anyway.

Ya it is a scary thing to go through if you have never seen it. Glad to hear you got the little guy fixed, he will be pretty sore for a few days and then over the next couple months you should be able to see him calm down more. They try to get up too fast but they are too dizzy (im guessing his eyes were going nuts). Good luck with everything!!!