The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Water Buckets/Ways not to kill my back dumping them all (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/water-buckets-ways-not-kill-my-150682/)

1322271927queen 01-21-2013 12:28 PM

Water Buckets/Ways not to kill my back dumping them all

Don't tell me to work out. I've been doing that. Im a small person and I have another job at a stable but they expect me to dump and clean every single bucket. Its winter so all the buckets are 3/4 full most of the time. They have to be dumped because this barn has a problem with bird poop. The only thing I've come up with so far is to use the wheel barrel to dump the buckets. These buckets are disgusting, every single one has slime, I doubt anyone is cleaning them properly (using hot water to get the slime out). The birds poop in them also quite often. I dumped all the buckets as I was cleaning the stalls and left them empty to dry out some of the slime. Three hours later when Im filling them back up I found bird poop in every single one.

Delfina 01-21-2013 12:42 PM

Scrub brush!

Giving the buckets a good scrub gets all the slime out. I found that if the buckets get a good scrub and fresh water that even in Winter the horses will drink most of the water. Horses like fresh, clean water in clean buckets.

Taffy Clayton 01-21-2013 12:48 PM

I use a toilet bowl brush, never used on a toilet of course.
I dump buckets into the wheelbarrow everyday, and swish with toilet brush 2-3 times a week. scrub with bleach at least once a month.
If I won't drink out of the bucket myself then it gets cleaned.

mls 01-21-2013 02:35 PM

http://www.horseforum.com/media/grap...isc/carrot.pngCarrying two buckets at a time is better for your shoulders and your balance.

Country Woman 01-21-2013 06:24 PM

Welcome to the forum

DraftyAiresMum 01-21-2013 06:36 PM

Not sure how big your "buckets" are, but when I was working at a friend of mine's stable, I had to dump 25 gallon buckets every day. I would take a smaller, 2 gallon bucket and remove at least half the water, then tip the big bucket over to empty it. The method of tipping depended greatly on the stall type. For outdoor mare mote-type stalls, I'd climb up on the bars and use my legs/feet to tip it (got very good at that method, to the point that I could do it without getting any water splashed on me...but it took a few times of soaking my jeans from the knees down to get the hang of it). For indoor stalls, I'd empty a bit more, then drag it into the aisle and dump it.
Posted via Mobile Device

1322271927queen 01-23-2013 11:07 AM

I will try mls suggestion and bring a smaller bucket with me to the stall so Im not lifting a full bucket up above my chest to get it unhooked from the wall. A scrub brush will not help in this situation unless I have hot water. The buckets are that dirty. Theirs scrub brushes but someone got the bright idea to scrub the buckets with the dirty water thats already in the bucket. So the buckets are never really clean, they're always slimey even after I rinse them and scrub. I use the hot water sometimes but the barn owner thinks scrubbing them with dirty water is faster. I think the fastest way to get them clean is just dumping them all and loosening some of the slime with a scrub brush before I dump it and then letting the buckets air dry while I muck. I think air drying kills most of the bacterial slime except for remaining wet spots in the bottom of the bucket. They're so gross it makes me wonder who else is actually cleaning them and how much water these horses are actually drinking. They have water troughs outside so maybe thats where they get their water intake.

mls 01-23-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1322271927queen (Post 1857586)
A scrub brush will not help in this situation unless I have hot water. The buckets are that dirty. Theirs scrub brushes but someone got the bright idea to scrub the buckets with the dirty water thats already in the bucket.

I think air drying kills most of the bacterial slime except for remaining wet spots in the bottom of the bucket.

how much water these horses are actually drinking. They have water troughs outside so maybe thats where they get their water intake.

You do not need hot water to scrub the buckets clean. Swish the bucket with the brush, dump the water, scrub any spots you missed, then rinse and dump again.

Air drying will not kill bacteria. Sun may kill some of it.

How long are they in their stalls? We did not offer buckets to those horses that only drank outside. But then the horses were only in for 6 -7 hours. The first week new horses are offered buckets in their stalls. If they did not drink out of them, they were not offered again unless necessary. (longer time in a stall, putting up after a work out without going out for a drink, trying to put weight on).

Spotted 01-23-2013 11:51 AM

The BO may want a fake owl in the barn, it should keep the birds out. Not sure if it will work, but its worth a try.

waleybean 01-23-2013 01:00 PM

Some folks use those huge but flimsy plastic tub like things at our yard. I don't use them 'cos they are a nightmare to shift when full, but should you have some of these tie a lead rope to one and pull it across the yard.