The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   so my husband should NEVER ride a horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/so-my-husband-should-never-ride-1507/)

photographerJ 04-11-2007 08:55 PM

so my husband should NEVER ride a horse?

Please keep this topic civil, but my husband is 280 pounds right now, and when we go places, the weight limit on horses is 250 (except in Tennessee (US) where they didn't care - they just found him a nice big horse in their barn ;))

My husband is not some big fat slob, either. Granted, he could lose a little weight right now, but he is a football player - actually, he played his last year, semi pro last year at age 37. He's 6 foot 2 inches. When he was only into body building, at his best, he was 250 pounds.

So does that mean he shouldn't be allowed to ride a simple trail?

I have two horses - one I would not put him on. She's 15.1 hh and she's a QH/Tenn. Walker mix.... but my new one is a draft/QH mix. She is an "elegant" draft mix though - she's not "drafty". She's only about 15.2 or 15.3 hh. So I should not allow him to take a simple trail ride with me ever?

That would seem so unfair to me. I'm not talking about a three-hour trail ride either... I'm talking just maybe for an hour tops, once a month. Is that bad?

I would have purchased a larger horse but I am only 5 feet, 4 inches, and around 125 pounds, and I to be honest, get scared on really large horses.... and we bought her for me - I'm the primary rider.

here are two pictures of her...

http://jottephotography.typepad.com/...4/01/day1g.jpg

and here's a funky shot of my son riding her - she's got some build, but not really "drafty"... KWIM?

http://jottephotography.typepad.com/...4/01/day1f.jpg

KANSAS_TWISTER 04-12-2007 12:20 AM

i've seen a 315 pound guy ride and own a 15.2 hand tb and that horse lasted for years, i've seen 16,2 draft type horse have back problems from a 105 pound rider, i have a very well built mustang that i know can take over 250 with out any problems, it should be up to a rider

kristy 04-12-2007 01:39 AM

There was a post like this that didn't end very.. well.

The only thing I can suggest is making things fair for both horse and rider. I know that you would really love your husband to ride & he has every right to, but his weight must be fair to the horse as well. I've met many larger men, a football player comes to mind, that were very well groomed and attractive men but just built extremely large.

I'm not sure what to suggest really. I don't want to say something that would not be true and put either your horse or your husband in an unfair situation. My philosophy, however, has always been - the rider's health and safety comes first, the horse's second. Following this would come the rest such as riding, training, competing, ect.

I also wanted to add: I live in TN (US). The therapeutic riding center I work at has a weight limit of 205. There are restrictions for different places but they do differ slightly.

Your horse is beautiful, by the way. The best suggest I have would be to ask your vet. He could better access your horse's health and limitations.

crackrider 04-14-2007 03:13 AM

Yes, maybe talk to a vet.
Maybe you could also try a very short trail ride (half hour or so) with your husband and while riding keep a very close eye his horse. If she shows any sign of not being happy or being under stress have your husband get straight off. The only true way to know what the horses limitations are is to practice and try.
If the horse handles a few of these short rides over a period of time with no problems what so ever then you could slowly increase the distance/time. However if she shows even the slightest sign of having a sore back etc, then you should stop IMMEDIATLY!!

I know what's it's like to worry about whether a horse can carry someone! My mum is a very heavy lady and when she wanted to come for a ride we had to find a horse that could carry her. We didn't go far and it was only once so the horse was fine.

Horses can carry a lot more weight than we think sometimes but it's best not to stress the horse. The horse will give you signs if it is finding it difficult to carry the weight.

Good Luck!!! :D

Desert Rat 04-14-2007 11:41 AM

If that horse won't carry 250 lbs. easy I'll vote democrat next time and that sure ain't gonna happen!

Chance01 04-16-2007 01:35 PM

I agree--he should be able to ride your horse easily. The thing that I would keep in mind is how balanced he is when riding. A horse can carry a lot of weight if it stays balanced but once it starts slipping and sliding that's when they get sore backs. I would also suggest having your vet check her joints to make sure she doesn't have anything that could limit the weight. But other than that I can't imagine there should be any problem.

futolympeventer327 04-22-2007 01:37 AM

Horses are able to carry a third of their body weight. Just get him a draft cross or a mustang cross something hardy and well muscled.

giget 06-01-2007 12:36 AM

my dad was 6ft2 and weighed abut 140kg im not sure what that converts into ponds but should be close and he rode around on my 15hh welsh arab my boy was pretty muscular but he idi fine with my dad on him. so yes i agree get your husband up on the horse see how both him and the horse feel but i think it would be fine

spoiledrottenpenner 06-01-2007 01:26 PM

I KNOW A GUY THAT IS A FOOTBALL PLAYER AND HE WEIGHS BOUT 350 HE RIDES A HORSE THAT IS VERY STALKY BUT ONLY ABOUT 14.2 HANDS TALL.. AND BOUGHT MY HORSE FROM ME SHE IS BOUT 15 HANDS TALL AND WEIGHS AROUND A 1000 POUNDS. HE RIDES HIS HORSES ALOT HE WORKS ON A RANCH AND ROPES SO YA HORSES CAN HNDLE ALOT BUT PEOPLE THINK ITS CRUEL

TxHorseMom 06-01-2007 01:51 PM

If you've ever seen some of those reiners, and ropers you will know that those are some hefty men, and they ride just fine.

A BIG factor is balance. If you are balanced and can ride fairly well, it is not a problem for the horse. A horse can handle a well balanced heavier person a lot easier than a lighter unbalanced person.

Why don't you get him his own horse? Many men like the Draft or Draft cross horses. We are currently on the lookout for a Belgian for my husband. (who is about 220 6'1") He has ridden everything from a stocky pony/qh cross (too short for him, but carried him well) to TB,s to QH. He just LIKES the looks of the Belgians and wants one.

There is no reason he shouldn't be able to ride whenever he wants.