The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Looking for friends (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/looking-friends-150702/)

Jim Andy 01-21-2013 04:28 PM

Looking for friends

I am new here so forgive me if I don't know how to do this. I am 51 years young and grew you on horse back. Now I have not been able to be around any horses for the last 30 or so years. I would love to get back into it but would like to spend some time on horse back and around horses before I go out and spend 10,000 dollars only to find out I'm not up to it. I would like to find someone close to me that would maybe be ok with me coming around and getting to know your horses and maybe do some trail riding with you. Just to make sure that I'm up to all it takes. I live in Somerset Ky. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Taffy Clayton 01-21-2013 04:30 PM

Looking for friends

Good luck to you, you might try to lease a horse for a few months to get used to it again.

Speed Racer 01-21-2013 04:33 PM

Your best bet is to find an all around lesson barn. You'll relearn everything you've forgotten, as well as learn some new things.

Once you've gotten proficient enough in the ring and arena, the lesson places generally take you out trail riding.

I'm not sure where you got a $10,000 figure for horse ownership. The initial cost can be as little as nothing, but it's the upkeep that costs the most.

Painted Horse 01-21-2013 06:51 PM

Jim,

I'm always looking for a butt to put in an empty saddle. My wife says get rid of a couple of horses. But I need all of them, several times a year. So I hate to get rid of a couple horse and then not have enough for when daughters are back in town or when I need to pack for hunting or fishing trips.

The only problem is, You are 2000 miles the wrong direction. But keep looking, I'm sure you can find somebody like me close to you that would be happy to have somebody share gas cost and help exercise his horses.

prairiewindlady 01-21-2013 07:41 PM

Don't give up and keep looking! A coworker of mine also in his 50's decided to get into riding and started taking lessons about a year ago. These days he comes out at least 3 times a week to ride my horses (one particular is essentially "his"). We would love to have you join us, but I'm afraid we are probably a good 4-5 hrs away!

Oreos Girl 01-22-2013 12:44 PM

My dad lives about an hour south of you (Lebanon, TN). He doesn't have an extra horse and the horse that he has now isn't a beginner horse. So why am I writing this? He is looking for someone to ride with in the future. PM if you are still interested.

Jim Andy 01-22-2013 01:17 PM

Thank you everyone wishing all a great year.and lots of riding,it is so good to hear from people that encourage you.

gunslinger 01-22-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Painted Horse (Post 1854805)
Jim,

I'm always looking for a butt to put in an empty saddle. My wife says get rid of a couple of horses. But I need all of them, several times a year. So I hate to get rid of a couple horse and then not have enough for when daughters are back in town or when I need to pack for hunting or fishing trips.

The only problem is, You are 2000 miles the wrong direction. But keep looking, I'm sure you can find somebody like me close to you that would be happy to have somebody share gas cost and help exercise his horses.

That's "almost" an invite.....be careful Painted Horse......never know who might show up at your door....

Painted Horse 01-22-2013 05:41 PM

Yeah, it happens once or twice a summer. Last summer I had a couple show up from Germany and a group of 9 guys from South Carolina showed up with their horses and wanted to know where to ride.

I took some time off and showed them a few trails and the folks from South Carolina were extremely generous at stuffing some money in my shirt to say thanks. I didn't ask for it, But I appreciated it.

Thunderspark 01-23-2013 12:57 AM

try posting a ad on a local site......I have 4 horses and I ride the one, I have a gentleman that has been coming out the last four yrs. and riding my appy gelding LOL he calls him his which is fine by me, I'm just happy he's being used. I also have a young girl that posted a ad looking for a horse to rent on a local site, she had taken lessons for 3yrs. and just wanted to trail ride......she has been coming out since last August riding one of my other horses and I have a 4yr. old I'm just started under saddle last fall.......I don't charge them to come ride my horses, all I ask is to know if they are and where they are going.....maybe you will be lucky and find someone wanting to exercise a horse for them.....if you were here in Canada you could come here LOL