The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Another tow vehicle question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/another-tow-vehicle-question-150718/)

verona1016 01-21-2013 05:30 PM

Another tow vehicle question

So I found a truck online that is within my budget and looks reliable, so assuming I can convince DH about getting a 3rd vehicle before it gets sold and it checks out mechanically (two big "ifs" right there) my only concern is being "over-trucked"

The truck I'm considering is a GMC Sierra 2500HD with a tow capacity of 10,200 lbs. Its primary use would be hauling a two horse trailer with a single ~1000 lb horse in it. (I don't have the trailer yet, but something like this would be my ideal: 1995 Logan 2 horse fully enclosed slant load trailer - $4700 (Elma WA) It certainly wouldn't be any bigger than that one)

Would that be too much truck for a small trailer and single horse?

goneriding 01-21-2013 06:09 PM

The truck would be fine.....Too much truck? Um no. You will have a stronger rear end which will give you more stability, you will have larger brakes for better stopping. I guarantee you will have an a**hole pull out in front of you because they apparently don't see you, your rear end and brakes just might save your butt. Too much truck?...nope.

MyBoyPuck 01-21-2013 06:20 PM

Agree with other post. No such thing as too much truck unless gas prices are a huge factor for you. I also tow a single horse with a 3/4 ton. On the larger hills, I am very glad I have it over a 1/2 ton. I never have issues with sway or breaking. If it's in good shape and a fair price, grab it.

MyBoyPuck 01-21-2013 06:22 PM

Ugh, very tired Please replace "braking" for "breaking".

Chevaux 01-21-2013 06:33 PM

I tow a two horse slant with a 3/4 ton -- pulls the trailer well and isn't too bad on gas. It's not a bad thing to have a little more truck than you need.

Phly 01-21-2013 07:40 PM

In most cases, going over board on the truck can actually save fuel. If you have to run a 300hp truck for all she's worth it'll use more fuel then a 500hp truck that's just cruising along. Most trucking companys are spec'ing for higher hp and larger tires. You cant have to much truck, but you can have not enough
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 01-21-2013 08:22 PM

To clarify, I had a quote & link that got removed from an article talking about how "too much truck" can cause the horse trailer to bounce around and make an uncomfortable ride for the horse (I assume because the suspension of the truck is built for a much heavier load). The example it used was a one-ton pickup pulling a minimalist 2-horse trailer.

I'm more concerned about how it'll affect the ride in the trailer than about fuel efficiency (that's apparently the first feature to go out the window when looking at tow vehicles :-|) since the truck would be used only when I haul somewhere, which won't be all that often in the grand scheme of things.

Since I don't need extra towing capacity for possibly, one day pulling a bigger trailer, really big horses, etc. I want to get a truck that will pull a 2 horse trailer as comfortably and safely as possible. I was originally thinking of something in the 6000-8000 lb range for tow capacity, but this truck is at the right price at the right time ;-)

goneriding 01-21-2013 08:34 PM

3/4 ton is not too much truck. I tell you this from experience. I haul a 14 foot lq with a 350 diesel single rear wheel drive. It pulls and hauls very well, but on occasion like steep hills crooks and corners, you feel it, engine pulls great it is the rear end that is somewhat lacking at times.....hmmmm. A 450-550 will be our future long distance hauler.

Delfina 01-21-2013 09:05 PM

I have a GMC Sierra 2500HD and have pulled an extremely minimalist 2H trailer with it. I've even pulled said trailer with PIGLETS only (so maybe 60lbs? of pig total).

The trailer does not bounce around. All the horses happily jump right in the trailer the next time.

I've also pulled a very non-minimalist 3H trailer with a single horse in it.... absolutely no issues once again. I even transported my horse with his foot sutured together in it like that. Only problem was convincing him that the big trailer wasn't scary.... he wanted to go in the minimalist, teeny, straight-load one (Vet nixed that... wanted him in the middle slot of a 3H slant load in hopes of him not tearing out his stitches).

Only problem I've ever had is needing to remind my self continually that there is a trailer behind me. You can't feel it!!

verona1016 01-22-2013 09:16 AM

Thanks, guys! DH has given me the OK to look into this one, so hopefully it'll check out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 1855103)
\Only problem I've ever had is needing to remind my self continually that there is a trailer behind me. You can't feel it!!

That's awesome :-)