The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Piecing together a bridle! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/piecing-together-bridle-150742/)

LikeaTB 01-21-2013 08:18 PM

Piecing together a bridle!

I've noticed that in the tack room of the barn that I ride at (a Western barn) there is someone's old English saddle in there , which I took the stirrups and irons off of to use on my new English saddle, and I also saw a triple jointed loose ring snaffle hanging on the wall with laced reins attached, but they are only attached on one side. I don't know if they are broken on the other side, I haven't looked at it closely. I have also seen a cavesson noseband hanging on one of the bridle hooks, but I don't know where the headstall/bit holding piece (sorry not sure what they call it in English)is. When I go to the barn next weekend, I'll see if I can find it somewhere and clean it up!

LeahKathleen 01-21-2013 08:21 PM

Do you know whose tack it is? O.o

I wouldn't be taking any tack that doesn't belong to me without the owner's express permission. That would really tick me off, even if it had been sitting there for a long time, if I showed up to the barn to find my tack disassembled and used...

Shoebox 01-21-2013 08:24 PM

You're just stealing tack? Do you have permission to do this? You can't just assume that's it's abandoned

LikeaTB 01-21-2013 08:26 PM

I believe it was the friend of the barn owner who I guess just left their stuff there. I hasn't been out of the tack room in a while, and nobody uses it. I was just going to see if I could find all the stuff, just for kicks. I'm going to ask the barn owner if I can first, though. I'm not going to use it though (lots of thoughs!).

LeahKathleen 01-21-2013 08:26 PM

But you already took the irons off the saddle, and are using them...?

LikeaTB 01-21-2013 08:28 PM

The barn owner said I could. When I had another English saddle, she said I could take them off and use them, but that saddle was broken. Before I knew it was broken I had my saddle at the barn and I had put the irons on it (with the BOs permission) and I had taken them off before I left, and when my parents were talking to the BO when they came to pick me up, she said I could have them.

LikeaTB 01-21-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoebox (Post 1855012)
You're just stealing tack? Do you have permission to do this? You can't just assume that's it's abandoned

I'm not going to take it and actually use it, I'm just seeing if I can find all the pieces of it. I'm going to ask the BO if I can piece it together.

LikeaTB 01-21-2013 08:30 PM

Add: I didn't take stirrup leathers and irons without the BO's permission; she said I could have them.

hberrie 01-21-2013 10:53 PM

Liketb... from your first post it doesn't sound like you were given permission to use these things. It sounded like you saw them covered in dust and decided on your own accord to borrow them. If the BO gave you permission to use them it may be unwarranted. Be careful!! People are defensive of their horses and their tack.

Wanstrom Horses 01-21-2013 11:08 PM

I had a friend take stirrups off a saddle once in a riding barn, with the BOs permission, and the owner of the saddle later took him to court for theft.. I wouldn't do that if I were you..