The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Any suggestions on what cures a dandruffed coat?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  OneFastHorse 
#1 · (Edited)
My draft mare wears a medium heavy blanket all winter up here in Alberta, Canada. I've noticed she's got quite a bit of dandruff, wondering if it's because this is the first winter she's been blanketed OR maybe she's lacking something in her nutrition? It is very dry here, but there's got to be something to minimize the dandruff. Could I add something to her feed to moisten her skin/shine up her coat? If anyone has any tips or tricks please let me know! Thanks!

#2 ·
Flax! I swear by it!!! I'm in Alberta too:)

I feed it whole, and my horse has an awesome coat:) Average 3/4 cup each day or two.....

Reactions: AlbertaGirl
#5 ·
So she's receiving no vit/min's in any form? If that's so, I would add a vit/min supplement to her diet either in powder/pellet form or in the form of a RB, then re evaluate in 30-60 days. nutrition plays a huge role in hair/hoof health.

I, myself, feed free choice mixed grass hay and a RB (Buckeye Gro N Win). It is a grain free. low NCS feed meant to be fed at a very small rate (1lb for most 1,000lb horses in no to little work). Mine get about 2.5c per horse per day.

#9 ·
Flax!! I feed it ground, (use a coffee grinder), also if you groom her regularly you could spray this on her after you groom her:
Healthy HairCare® Hair Moisturizer in Coat Conditioners at Schneider Saddlery
I swear by it, reall helps to moisturize their skin and coat and its healthy too! Not too expensive either: 16 ounces makes about a gallon as its concentrated
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
Usually, you will see a HUGE change once you get them on good nutrition. When I switched mine from Safechoice to GnW (YEARS ago), I noticed a HUGE difference (positive) in hoof and hair health. It was pretty amazing. Basic nutrition in the form of vit/min is key for overall health. Adding flax may help with the overall appearance of the hair on the outside, but why not fix the underlying issue and work from the inside out?

#11 ·
Ive noticed excessive dandruff is often connected to a Vitamin A deficiency for horses on hay. It can be a precursser to rain rot if left go. My horses dont have dandruff/excessive scurfing anymore now that I supplement that in the winter

#12 ·
Ive noticed excessive dandruff is often connected to a Vitamin A deficiency for horses on hay. It can be a precursser to rain rot if left go. My horses dont have dandruff/excessive scurfing anymore now that I supplement that in the winter
OP, if you can get Triple Crown 30% supplement, put your horse on 1lb of it a day. It's high in Vit A... higher than the RB I feed. I am actually thinking about switching to the 30% myself, but I have to special order it. That and I just bought 100lbs of the other, so it will be a bit before that's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.