The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   curious (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/curious-150798/)

Caili 01-22-2013 06:41 AM

curious
 
Just wondering does anyone here ever fed eggs to their horses or whether it is ok to? I have heard that the egg is good for their coats and has calcium in it. Also does anyone know any products that has vitamin A in it and can be found around the house?

Any replies will be appreciated.

OneFastHorse 01-22-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caili (Post 1855652)
Just wondering does anyone here ever fed eggs to their horses or whether it is ok to? I have heard that the egg is good for their coats and has calcium in it. Also does anyone know any products that has vitamin A in it and can be found around the house?

Any replies will be appreciated.

I don't believe a horse can digest egg. If you want extra calcium and Vit A, buy a supplement made specifically for horses.

Trinity3205 01-22-2013 05:11 PM

Carrots provide beta carotene which horses make into Vit A.

OneFastHorse 01-22-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trinity3205 (Post 1856403)
Carrots provide beta carotene which horses make into Vit A.

Hmm.. now that I didn't know. Makes me feel better about the pound of carrots I fed my two the other day LOL

Trinity3205 01-22-2013 05:19 PM

Oh and horses can and do eat eggs btw as strange as it sounds. Feeding raw eggs is an old trick to get a better shine on the horses coat.

You can google horses eating eggs and come up with loads of posts where people feed them to horses. Most ppl mix raw farm fresh ones into the feed.


ETA I personally would probably not do this due to the risk of salmonella, but if it works for some ppl, I guess it works! Maybe scrambled... i have had a horse steal a breakfast bisquit before and eat it...sooo maybe lol

jaydee 01-22-2013 05:34 PM

Sugar beet pulp is high in calcium and carrots high in Vit A
They used to feed raw eggs to horses but I would worry about the salmonella risk too - safer easier ways to supplement your horse!!!

Trinity3205 01-22-2013 05:55 PM

I have heard of them stealing chicken eggs around the barnyard when they can. Weird lol

Caili 01-22-2013 06:05 PM

I have heard of the risks of salmonella... but i haven't really heard of any cases that are in my area.. i'll have to start feeding carrots again as my horse has rainscold.. i'm also gonna invest in some flax seed... by the way is flax exactly the same as linseed or they sort of two different seeds that just contain the same minerals? I have wild dandelion plants on our front lawn.. i heard that their leaves are good for horses too just can't remember what for.. but i have it written down in a book somewhere

OneFastHorse 01-22-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caili (Post 1856461)
I have heard of the risks of salmonella... but i haven't really heard of any cases that are in my area.. i'll have to start feeding carrots again as my horse has rainscold.. i'm also gonna invest in some flax seed... by the way is flax exactly the same as linseed or they sort of two different seeds that just contain the same minerals? I have wild dandelion plants on our front lawn.. i heard that their leaves are good for horses too just can't remember what for.. but i have it written down in a book somewhere

What is your horses current diet?

loosie 01-22-2013 07:32 PM

Caili, why do you think your horse needs extra calcium & vit A specifically? If his coat's(& hooves & skin) not great, this can be due to lack/imbalance of a number of nutrients - if it's due to that at all. FeedXL.com is a fantastic diet analysis service, as well as helping you work out the best sources of what may be required.

Extra protein - which eggs provide - may be one consideration. Essential fatties & omega 3 are also a common necessity to be supped, esp in relation to hooves & coat. I would personally give a more natural(for a horse) source of these things where needed, such as flax/linseed (yes, different name for same thing, as is lucerne/alfalfa)

Oh & I think dandelion is high in iron.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0