The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Strange & upsetting dreams about old horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/strange-upsetting-dreams-about-old-horse-150806/)

Chansu 01-22-2013 09:33 AM

Strange & upsetting dreams about old horse.

Wasn't quite sure where to put this. Was wondering if anyone could help me figure this out as it has got me pretty confused. Basically the last 2 weeks (maybe 3?) I've had a few strange dreams about my old horse Chance, some of you may remember her from here, the brown new forest pony x thoroughbred.

the basic story of what happened with her:

a year ago I gave her to someone that used to ride her before I owned her, without telling me she gave Chance to a friend of hers. they stopped riding her because they were scared of her (the girl was only 15, I specifically said in her ad that she wasn't to be ridden by nervous people especially kids) so she ended up just sitting in the field doing nothing. I went up there a few times to ride her, obviously not being in work she was very...fresh? but didn't do anything dangerous. I couldn't afford to keep going up there very often. couple of months later I was told she was being sold to someone 8 hours away, they told me the day before she was going. so I somehow had to scrape the money up to get the train to go see her quick before she was gone. when I got there she was skin and bones and really lame. I cried my eyes out as soon as I saw her but I was happy she was going to a new home where she'd be looked after and ridden. I asked to have the new owners contact details so I could keep touch with her to see how she was doing etc. I was told they'd send them in a message but they never did. I now have no idea where she is or how she is. that is the last I heard of her, back in august.

the dreams:

the first one was a couple of weeks ago, It was just of me riding her through a field, nothing really unusual apart from I remember constantly having a feeling that something was wrong, like something had happened to her, even though I was riding her at the time? I woke up and still had that same feeling for a few hours after. the second one was a couple of days after, I can't actually remember what happened in it, apart from that same feeling that something was wrong. the last, but worst one, was this morning. I went to see Chance (not sure how I knew where she was) but when I got there, there were loads of other horses but no Chance. I kept asking where she was but nobody would tell me. for some reason I had a gut feeling that she had died, but when I asked everyone avoided the question. then the lady that apparently owned her started offering me a young mare that looked a little like chance but she was saying "I know this is going to break your heart, but you can take this mare instead" and I was crying hysterically. I woke up crying and continued to cry for another half hour after realising it was only a dream.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what it all meant? it just seems strange to me that its all suddenly started now months after she had gone. :-( thank you to anyone that actually read all of this and anyone that comments!

Speed Racer 01-22-2013 09:42 AM

You don't have closure, and it's been wearing at you subconsciously for months. Your worry about her is now manifesting itself in dreams.

I don't believe these dreams are Chance reaching from beyond to tell you she's passed. Generally, those experiences are extremely pleasant and put your mind at ease.

5kiddos 01-22-2013 09:55 AM

I think you are probably worried about her as she did not look well the last time you saw her. Subconsciously (gut feeling) you may think she has passed and it is coming out in your dreams. If it were me, I would follow up with the last known owners and see if you could find out what has become of her. No matter what the outcome, at least you will know.

Chansu 01-22-2013 10:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you for the replies. I don't think she has actually passed, at least I hope not. I have contacted the people that had when I was still riding her occasionally, just asking for a way to contact her current owners, a phone number or email address. for some reason I doubt that i'll actually get it though. they've never been particularly reliable. heres hoping I can find some good news about Chance though. I miss her a lot.

these are a couple of pictures of the last time I rode her.

Speed Racer 01-22-2013 10:22 AM

Pretty girl. I hope you can get some answers, and put your mind at rest.

Chansu 01-22-2013 12:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
just have to play the waiting game and see if I get a reply now.
these are the pictures I took the last day I saw her. she doesn't seem to look as bad in photos as she did in person. but you can see by the way she was standing that she was very lame. I had to bite my tongue when she said "shes been a little bit lame for a few days" ...poor thing was struggling to stand. what made me most angry was that her other 4 horses were in perfect condition, if a little tubby. Chance was always an extremely easy keeper for me, I struggled to get the weight off her let alone find her ribs.

Thunderspark 01-23-2013 12:34 AM

I can see by the pics you would be upset!! Hopefully you will be able to get a hold of someone through email to find out how she is doing.......the dreams are probably caused from your concern when you saw her.....

Chansu 01-23-2013 07:57 AM

I've message the young girl (the one that was scared to ride her) and she told me to message the woman that used to ride her before I had her. I sent her a message on facebook, it says the message has been read but she hasn't replied. typical. ughhh. :(

AnrewPL 01-23-2013 08:07 AM

Your subconscious is telling you that she is no longer your horse and you have to come to terms with that. The woman offering you a new horse is your subconscious telling you that you will have other horses in the future that you will bond with and love.