The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Trail bareback (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/trail-bareback-150812/)

Horsecents1997 01-22-2013 12:21 PM

Trail bareback

I love riding bareback, but I can't ever get on without a stool!! My horse is 16.3 and I'm 5'10" so it shouldn't be an issue but I just can't!!! I'm really clumsy!! Any advice??? How do I get up there?

Supanova 01-22-2013 01:06 PM

I always use a fence or mounting block to get on my horses, I feel it is better for their backs rather than having me trying to clamber on. I used to vault on my 14hh pony but I was a lot younger back then! I'd stand at her neck, hold the mane with my left hand, take one big step and vault onto her back with no problem, I wouldnt even attempt it now!

Horsecents1997 01-22-2013 08:56 PM

I would try but the fences nearby are pretty much just electric:wink: that might be a bit difficult! Thank you though!!!

Horsecents1997 01-22-2013 08:57 PM

I would try but the fences nearby are pretty much just electric::-): that might be a bit difficult! Thank you though!!!

aldebono 01-22-2013 09:12 PM

I swing up by the mane but I have to use the wrong side to mount with my right arm as it's stronger than my left. Make sure your horse doesn't mind you accidentally slamming into him, kneeing him in the flank, digging your toes (I often ride barefoot) into his opposite side hip, and general flailing while trying to haul yourself up there. It is extremely difficult if your horse tries to walk off with you, and it just gets harder if you miss the first or second try as your arms get weaker.

So. It's not impossible! I am 5'4" and can get on my 16.2ish Appendix. He has a nice high wither that makes a good grip for the other hand. So the key is practice, practice, practice! And don't practice when people are watching, it's never pretty.

Thunderspark 01-23-2013 01:51 AM

I look for higher ground, a log, a rock, fence.......anything that I don't have to kill my horse or me getting up LOL

Horsecents1997 01-23-2013 06:16 PM

Thanks!! I never thought of using the wither! Chance has a high wither too so I'm definitely gonna try it!! But since I keep my horse at my best friend's, she's probably gonna be watching and laughing. :) unfortunately!! Oh well!

goneriding 01-24-2013 11:39 AM

Trail riding bareback......last time I did that I couldn't walk right for two days. I didn't factor in all of the hill climbing we ended up doing.:shock:

Painted Horse 01-24-2013 12:38 PM

The gal in the leather leggings rode all day, Some 23 miles bareback in February cold. She couldn't get off and walk as the snow and wet ground would have soaked through her mocossins. She went a little overboard at trying to be realistic like the native American horsemen.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...dow-Horses.jpg

Horsecents1997 01-25-2013 07:27 PM

Haha :) I don't plan on doing long trail rides bareback. I think that would be painful!! :)