The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Wallking off when mounting (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/wallking-off-when-mounting-150815/)

autumn rain 01-22-2013 11:57 AM

Wallking off when mounting

Can anyone give suggestion as what to do with regards to this problem? My TWH is otherwise a very calm girl, but as soon as my butt hits the saddle she wants to take off (with some speed); she has a custom saddle, so I don't think she has pain from it; once I get her slowed down she's quite calm to ride; how can I encourage her to stand still after I get on? She stands quietly for mounting, but takes off as soon as the rider sits down.

Iseul 01-22-2013 12:02 PM

Mount and dismount, over and over again. When she walks off, back her up, stand for a second and get back off. Repeat over and over until she gets the memo. This is what I did with Lucky and she got it after about 4-5 times. She use to want to trot off, and after I did this with her she stood until I told her to move forward.
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 01-22-2013 12:04 PM

Watch Clinton Anderson's Lunging for Respect. You make it uncomfortable for your horse to move off when you mount by moving her feet, chasing her around until she wants to stand still. Reward, then 1/2 mount, then fully mount and stand at a halt for at least 5 minutes. Reward, dismount, move the mare, try again. It's a bad but common habit, but you could take a fall in a bad spot, so you must fix it.

jasperemily0511 01-22-2013 06:35 PM

I had a horse do this once so i backed them up every time they took a step

Phly 01-22-2013 08:19 PM

Do you or have you typically gotten in the saddle and ridden off? If so that's what the horse thinks you want. What we do is mount and stand. We usually start with a minute. Though some may need to stand alot longer. Do that every time till they understand that you'll ask them to move. More then one post on here has been made from the saddle, lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wolfetrap 01-22-2013 08:35 PM

I agree with Phly.

Janna 01-22-2013 09:01 PM

Pulling te head around when mounting works on some of them, sometimes you have to do the step on, off on off till it stops though.

EthanQ 01-22-2013 09:27 PM

Get on and make him stand (I usually add lateral flexion at this time) and do that everytime you ride. He has the mindset that as soon as he feels weight that its time to go.

Thunderspark 01-23-2013 12:38 AM

alot of horses have that bad habit and it is caused by riders who get on and walk off right away, so the horse anticipates that once the rider is in the seat it means go!
How I've done it is if they walk off or go to move off.....back them up, then sit.....we always wait for 10 secs. before we even move and none of our horses walk off till we say so.......
Before I signal to go I will also lateral flex them and vertical flex them......

nvr2many 01-23-2013 12:44 AM

I always back mine up a few steps after mounting, then we stand and go when I say.