The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   African Violets (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/african-violets-150820/)

SaddleStrings 01-22-2013 01:33 PM

African Violets

Just wondering if anyone here grows African violets? I will admit that I absolutely love them! I maybe be 26 y/o, but i love those plants that my grandma and aunts used to always have. I had a huge collection of around 40 plants several years ago, but I ran out of space and time then, so I kind of lost most of them:oops:.But I am now getting back into them. I plan on ordering several plants from Lyndon Lyon and Rob's violet Barn. I want to see if anyone else is big into violets too! Does anyone go to any violet shows and conventions?

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 01-22-2013 01:55 PM

I grew an african violet when I was 5 and had it for a few years. LOL, loved the fuzzy leaves. I don't go to shows or anything but, I am an avid gardener. I do it all year round; when the weather gets bad I just bring them in under artifical light: high pressure sodium's, metal halide's, and fluorescent T-5's.

SaddleStrings 01-22-2013 02:26 PM

Wow! You got quite the set up then. Mine just get grow lights on a plant stand. I've just started trying Episcia out. They are another gesneriad that have fuzzy leaves. I have a Pink Brocaide and a Chocolate Soldier.

Cacowgirl 01-22-2013 02:31 PM

My neighbor has some Af. Violets-8 plants in a south-facing window-yesterday 7 of the plants were flowering-so pretty! She sometimes puts some in the fair-she always gets top awards for them.

aldebono 01-22-2013 02:59 PM

I had a few and then lost them to a freeze. I would love to get into the dwarf varieties when I get a good window in a new house.
My mother has about 15 in a great window. They seem to be always blooming.

I love Episcias! Super hardy little things with great foliage and nice flowers. I have 3 color varieties so far and looking for more.

SaddleStrings 01-22-2013 04:58 PM

I too want to get into the miniature varieties as well. They allow me to have more in a limit space, so,they are more feasible.

SaddleStrings 01-22-2013 05:06 PM

I wish I had a AV club in my area. The closest one is in Colorado. :/