The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Help How do i clean my synthetic (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/help-how-do-i-clean-my-150840/)

PaintedMare 01-22-2013 04:01 PM

Help How do i clean my synthetic

1 Attachment(s)
so i loaned my synthetic english saddle to a girl at my barn. Shortly after i realized this was a mistake because of the way she treated it. i have seen her throw it on the ground sling it around etc and she has never even attempted to wipe it down. it is not a very expensive saddle so that is why i have not taken it back yet, but right now i just want to get it clean. i know how to take care of a leather saddle i just wonder about synthetic. ive read that you need to hose them down but i am afraid in the thicker areas of the saddle it will not dry as well and cause some problems. i wiped it down a little ,not much ,but just with a damp rag. thanks for any input.

Speed Racer 01-22-2013 04:02 PM

Damp rag, and for the more dirty spots, you can use dishwashing liquid and then rinse. Do not use any type of leather cleaner, as that will ruin the synthetic.

Oh, and you're much too nice. I'd be taking my saddle back, since that girl obviously has no respect for someone elses things.

clippityclop 01-22-2013 04:04 PM

That looks like a Thorowgood if I'm not mistaken - I have one of those and Wintecs. I wash my synthetics with a soapy rag, specifically Dawn dish soap and nothing else. Then I set it on the side of my truck bed or flat bed trailer and hose it off until the water runs clear (no bubbles). It takes about two days sitting outside to dry, including the flocking in the seat and knee rolls. After that you are good to go!

PaintedMare 01-22-2013 04:06 PM

Thanks. i admittedly don't like conflict. if someone goes after or takes advantage to friends and family i have no problem with it but when i comes to myself i just dismiss it. Thank you for the advice speed racer :)

PaintedMare 01-22-2013 04:07 PM

it is a thorowgood. i got it at a tack sale for a descent price. thanks for the help

Speed Racer 01-22-2013 04:16 PM

I have a Wintec 2000, and it's such a breeze to clean! Of course, I have a Stubben too, which takes much more work! LOL :wink:

PaintedMare 01-22-2013 04:23 PM

i love stubben products. i havent invested too much into english tack though cause i am mainly a western rider. i have this saddle because i started english and like to practice a little. it helps with my balance and i think its good to try to be well rounded.

Speed Racer 01-22-2013 04:25 PM

It does help to be well rounded, especially if you want to get into endurance.

PaintedMare 01-22-2013 04:39 PM

Agreed. :) im just a pleasure rider. i enter local open shows once a year when the entire barn goes but thats it.

jumanji321 01-22-2013 06:22 PM

I hose the outer parts of my Tekna down as it is the smooth seat one and then I will wet a cloth and wipe down the underside. I doesn't take long to dry either. I love Thorowgoods! My one coach has the Maxam GP and it is sooo comfy!