The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   This is horrible! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/horrible-15088/)

TaMMa89 09-23-2008 09:54 AM

This is horrible!

When I was visiting our neigbour city today my mom phoned me and asked if I've heard any newscasts. I said I haven't. Then she told me that there've been a school shooting in Kauhajoki (a city in western Finland) and 9 people was killed. I haven't any friends there so it didn't touch me so deeply but I'm still kind of upsetted. Why this happened? When our little society turned so violent (there was a school shooting over here in the last year also)? The police was questioned the killer yesterday but they didn't take his lince for gun away?

(please don't continue your gun topic here).

Moxie 09-23-2008 10:17 AM

Society breaks down when the warning signs are failed to be seen.

upnover 09-23-2008 10:43 AM

I actually thought about you when I saw that in the news!!! (you're the only person I 'know' from finland...) I'm so sorry to hear what happened. It's a hard when something so tragic happens. I'm a graduate of Virginia Tech (where 32 people were killed in a shooting a little over a year ago). I didn't know any of the people and it's been a few years since I graduated but it was a very very difficult thing for me! The university is in a very peaceful very very beautiful little town and i have such amazing memories of being there. It didn't seem right that something so bad could happen at a place where so many good things happened as well. I find that you can't really ask "why" to things like this. It will drive you insane. :) The thing is, people are not perfect and unfortunately we suffer as a consequence.

TaMMa89 09-23-2008 12:23 PM

lince=licence.

I'm sorry for you, upnover. I'm sure it have to be shocking even if you was graduated :/.

The newest piece of knowledge told that the gunman died in a hospital. And his acutely wounded victim died too. On the other hand I think that the gunman coasted when he died. Now he haven't to respond to his atrocity.

I hope that this would open policymakers' eyes. We need more resources in youngs' mental health work.

JackieB 09-23-2008 12:58 PM

I'm so sorry for the people of Finland today. Such a tragedy.

My2Geldings 09-23-2008 01:43 PM

Sorry to hear about the news. Unfortunately there are a lot of mentally unstable people in this world and as long as there are people around, things like that will continue to happen. The only thing we can do is to choose an environement and a group of friends that will help you stay away from people like that and keep you safe.
Keep your chin up.

TaMMa89 09-23-2008 01:45 PM

It is. Lot of people seems to be shocked :/.

Hope this'll never repeat. Not here or anywhere.

TaMMa89 09-23-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings
Sorry to hear about the news. Unfortunately there are a lot of mentally unstable people in this world and as long as there are people around, things like that will continue to happen. The only thing we can do is to choose an environement and a group of friends that will help you stay away from people like that and keep you safe.
Keep your chin up.

Thanks. Like I said I don't know any of victims but it upset kind of because incidents like this are pretty uncommon.

But tragedies like this bring out some thoughts and questions. Society of today emphasises a lot of values like efficacy, superficiality and consumption. On the other hand you have to be prosperous, strong and perfect so you could succeed in your life. There aren't a room for a human weakness. Then the society wonder when youngs, a group of people in a tender age, feel bad. Is it any wonder when the state of the world is which is it? It's hard to think that the group of moms and dads, siblings, friends, bfs and gfs whose hearts have been broken, have been grown today.

Aside that, sometimes it seems that an individual has been forgotten and governments treat people like a human stock. Some allocaions here, some there. It doesn't matter if some sector doesn't get enough to fulfill its needs (like there are lot of youngs who need more support for their life, but no. There aren't enough resources for them. Like mr. Auvinen, the previous shooter. He was a dropout who had learned Friedrich Nietsche and other extremist ideologies. Then he resulted in that he is some kind of superhuman who can kill weakers. Who would lead youngs like him a narrowe path?) I understand that when there are a lot of people and governments have to try to insure an equal righs for anyone, they can't empahsise an individual endlessly. But in my opinion they would still try more harder than now.

And the other thing which ashtonish me is that the police knew about the plans of the gunman of today. The man was questioned in a police station yesterday but they didn't take his gun/ gun licence away or informed his polytechnic about his plans.

I'm just thinking that.

Angel_Leaguer 09-23-2008 03:21 PM

im glad to know that you are alright and so is your family/friends...

When i was in high school there was a student that got picked on a lot... i didnt really know him since he wasnt in my class but he brought a gun to school and left it in his car. Somehow someone found out and the cops were called and he was taken into custody. What if no one would have found out before it was too late???

I belive that society as a whole can take some blame for why people turn out the way they do. Kids are cruel to each other, and so are adults. Individuals are pushed to their limits and in some cases they dont have the support at home to see the warning signs. They dont think it out and if the "get ride of the problem" then they dont have to worry about it....

This is only my 2 cents... but it is scary

TaMMa89 09-23-2008 04:51 PM

Thanks. Luckily I live a far away from Kauhajoki. And I'm glad you're alright too, your case sounds pretty heart stopper o.O

It's sad to see how those who have problems feel worse and worse. Hope that in the future things'll change and they'll get help in good time. Before they do something irrevocable.