The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Side passing towards you? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/side-passing-towards-you-150904/)

MoodIndigo 01-23-2013 01:37 AM

Side passing towards you?

I was wondering how in the world do you get a horse to side pass towards you on the ground?

I understand how to get a horse to sidepass of course, and my horse can do it.

I've seen it in multiple youtube videos, but haven't got a clue how to teach it.

Any ideas?

(Trying to find a video, will add it if I find a good one.)

Saranda 01-23-2013 01:52 AM

I taught this to my boy recently. It is purely a result of my experiments, so maybe there is a better way.

First, the horse has to be able to yield his hind end and his shoulder to rhythmical, gradual pressure. Next, I stood by the middle of his barrel, holding the lead rope in one hand and with the other (using a crop) I reached over his back and tapped lightly (first - not touching him at all, just swinging the crop, then touching him) his hip to encourage to move the hip towards me. In case of trying to go forwards, I blocked the movement with the halter and calmly repeated the cue to move hip towards me. My boy sidepasses away from me very well from the ground, so he understood instantly what I was asking for, but, in case a horse gets confued and tries just moving the hip, tapping the shoulder might also be needed. One step is enough to begin with and, after that, it should build up quickly.

nvr2many 01-23-2013 01:52 AM

For what reason? Are you trying to get them to come close to mount? If so this thread talks about getting them to move toward you.
http://www.horseforum.com/trail-ridi...unting-149940/

MoodIndigo 01-23-2013 01:58 AM

Thanks Saranda.

To give you a better picture, in this video at 0:30 seconds she does it.

Saranda 01-23-2013 02:05 AM

My reasons to teach it were - yes, mounting, although just partially, as he already knows how to stand close to a mounting block/log/stump/rock/etc., and mainly - as something new to do to evolve our body language and give us an additional groundwork exercise that helps him to learn using his hind legs more. For example, I've further used it while walking down trails in hand to sidepass (with a slight forwards motion) from one side of the road to the other and, when we have gained ryhthm and lightness, transition to an active forwards trot, which then comes with good impulsion and hind action. It also helps a horse to become more attentive and balanced, and the handler - to learn to control their body language more precisely - an overall beneficial exercise, if the horse is phsically fit to do it. :)

kayhmk 01-23-2013 12:42 PM

I recently asked this question on another thread and got a nice reply: http://www.horseforum.com/natural-ho...9/#post1814255

MoodIndigo 01-23-2013 02:53 PM

kayhmk- Thank you so much! That is a nice reply. :)

hberrie 01-30-2013 09:26 PM

I actually did this by accident one time and didn't realize it was a training method. I was working with my horse who habitually turns his ass away from the mounting block. We were in the outsid arena by ourselves and I wanted to hop on bareback, but I really didn't care. I just started messing around and tapped the leadrope on his far side and he eventually stepped over to me. I was amazed because I wasn't even trying. lol. Ever since then I keep practicing it because it does work, but takes patience.

lilruffian 01-30-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saranda (Post 1857192)
I taught this to my boy recently. It is purely a result of my experiments, so maybe there is a better way.

First, the horse has to be able to yield his hind end and his shoulder to rhythmical, gradual pressure. Next, I stood by the middle of his barrel, holding the lead rope in one hand and with the other (using a crop) I reached over his back and tapped lightly (first - not touching him at all, just swinging the crop, then touching him) his hip to encourage to move the hip towards me. In case of trying to go forwards, I blocked the movement with the halter and calmly repeated the cue to move hip towards me. My boy sidepasses away from me very well from the ground, so he understood instantly what I was asking for, but, in case a horse gets confued and tries just moving the hip, tapping the shoulder might also be needed. One step is enough to begin with and, after that, it should build up quickly.

Pretty good explaination. There are several ways to do it including this one.
First your horse has to know how to sidepass on the ground and yield his hind end & forehand away from you very well.
Another method that works for some horses is drawing a rope around their body and pulling them towards you but this does not work for all.
Some wait until the horse has really good draw, where they really want to follow you and then just ask them to come towards you but keep their front end away (back up & draw them towards you but keep rythmic pressure on the neck & nose so that they dont bring their forehand around).
This takes quite awhile, though, and lots of patience :wink:

Saddlebag 01-31-2013 08:00 AM

Work along a fence or wall. When you tap him he will try to move away for forward. You will use the fence and halter to block that. He may become quite confused and in his confusion he may step toward you. Instantly stop tapping. A horse moving toward you like this is disrespectful and that is why it can be so confusing to the horse. We move into his space but he's not allowed in to ours and now we are asking him to.