The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Piglet Trying to Mount Me (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/piglet-trying-mount-me-150960/)

gotxhorses 01-23-2013 03:40 PM

Piglet Trying to Mount Me

I have a 2 1/2 month old "mini" pig that I just got this week. I'm not new to farm animals, just new to having a potbelly pig as a pet. I know he's not going to stay small, so that's not my question or concern.

My concern is... he just started trying to mount me today. I was sitting down and he got all worked up and started trying to climb onto me and mount me. He was getting a little nippy in the process. I stood up and he continued trying to climb up my leg.

This is NOT okay, especially since he's going to get bigger.

He isn't neutered, but I plan to have this done ASAP. Would that be the cause of the problem? Or is it a dominance thing? I tried firmly telling him "NO" and pushing him off/away, but he came running back, almost more determined.

Any help is appreciated. (:

Allison Finch 01-23-2013 04:15 PM

Simple....neuter him as soon as you can. Contact your vet right away.

Taffy Clayton 01-23-2013 04:31 PM

Nutering is a big part, but it is also a dominance problem. I don't have a clue how to assert your dominance over a pig, rolling them over like you do to a dog might hurt their back.

Poco1220 01-23-2013 05:48 PM

He really should have been neutered VeRY early. You can chase him off when he gets aggressive by "biting" at his neck with your hand. Just behind and below his ear.
Posted via Mobile Device

gotxhorses 01-23-2013 05:58 PM

Definitely planning on having him neutered this week if possible for the vet. I will try the behind the ears thing next time. He hasn't done it since I left the room and shut the door behind me.

He seemed to have calmed down after I left him by himself.

As I said, I definitely would have gotten him neutered earlier, but I just got him, so waiting this long wasn't by choice.

Thanks so much everyone!

I saw this, but I don't think I want to wait for it to come through if I can help fix the problem now instead of allowing it to get worse with time...

Spay/Neuter Voucher Program | North American Potbellied Pig Association

WSArabians 01-23-2013 09:32 PM

We had one do the same thing.
We got his nuts cut out and a little stuffed dog he was allowed (and that was the ONLY thing) to screw until he calmed down.

gotxhorses 01-23-2013 09:38 PM

How did you discipline him and show him that the dog was the only appropriate thing? I read that pigs cannot be disciplined the same was as dogs and other animals, so that's where I've been confused. I read about the cupping behind the ears as above mentioned and firmly saying NO and pushing them back from their chest.

How did you do so?

Brighteyes 01-23-2013 10:44 PM

My PP use to mount EVERYTHING. :? He didn't attempt humans because we taught him to never touch a human without being invited to do so. Any out of order behavior was punishable by a sharp "NO!" and being shoved aside.

His attempts to mount objects ceased only days after we got him fixed. We haven't had a problem since.