The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Braiding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/braiding-150976/)

Breezy2011 01-23-2013 07:26 PM

Braiding

I am going to shows this summer, a few of them in Halter and Showmanship. I was debating whether I wanted to put braids in Breeze'z mane, but I am not sure.

If I do, I would like to practice them, so by show time I can do it on the day of the show, no screw ups.

What braid should I try to do? Any ideas, please post pics, so I know what they look like. She is a western horse, so I don't need pin wheel, or pinning the mane all the way up. I want a loose, neat looking braid.

Should I braid, or not? If I braid, what kind of braid? Post pics please!

themacpack 01-23-2013 08:26 PM

No, not for showing western.

existentialpony 01-23-2013 08:33 PM

Is your horse a stock breed? I don't know much about halter, but lots of western show horses will have their manes banded.

Breezy2011 01-23-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 1858415)
No, not for showing western.

Okay, although, I have seen lots of horses at local shows, showing western, with their manes and tails braided.

PelleDesign 01-24-2013 03:02 PM

For western you are going to want to have a banded mane. The tail should be combed through and banged, but not braided. Here's a good article for how to band: Mane Banding Technique for Shows

Hope this helps!! (:

oh vair oh 01-24-2013 03:51 PM

If you are showing western, you band.

If you are at a 1 day show, doing all-around, and your emphasis is on the english events, then braiding is acceptable. Likewise, if you wanted to show HUS and western, but your best event was on western, then you would band for the day. Though, if it's a local open show, I never did either and still won everything as long as the rest of the horse is turned out nice.