The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Able to register? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/able-register-150980/)

Cweaver 01-23-2013 06:36 PM

Able to register?

Literally just last Saturday I purchased a black/white overo gelding out of the kill pen. He was sweet as could be, cute, and well put-together so I couldn't resist. He's my summer project! Anyways (I could go on about the whole story for days!) I found the number of his previous owner and talked to him for a short while and found out he is double bred Blue Max, and both the sire and dam are registered APHA. Koda isn't registered simply cause the man never got around to filling out the breeding certificate. Koda will be 3 in May, would there be any way for him to still (if willing) fill out a breeding certificate? I plan to sell him in the fall, and I know it would really up his value!

Spotted 01-23-2013 06:44 PM

I think so If the breeder is willing to make you a certificate. Don't quote me, but maybe try reading the APHA rules for registration, you may just need the breeders signature and registrtion numbers for the sire and dam.

PaintHorseMares 01-23-2013 06:49 PM

Call the APHA for details, but it will cost you some $$s to register a 3yr old.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cweaver 01-23-2013 07:07 PM

Yeah, I assumed it would. Thanks guys! Hopefully this works out

WSArabians 01-23-2013 07:15 PM

If you think you can improve his value. You can get alot of riding done in the summer, but not many people are looking to purchase in the fall right when it's time to stock pile hay. For four months of riding, plus feeding, plus registration fees, plus maintainence care... You'd probably have to sell him for $2500 to make a decent profit and I doubt it but... Good on ya for saving him!

Cweaver 01-23-2013 07:54 PM

Yeah I assumed depending on how much it is it may not be even worth it. We'll see how it works out. Thanks! I wouldn't want to spend 600 to sell him for not a whole lot more

WSArabians 01-23-2013 08:27 PM

No, for sure. But you can always get him good and broke and if he finds that person, that's something they may want to invest in if he's a keeper for them. :)

Cweaver 01-23-2013 08:37 PM

yup!:)