The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Calling all barrel racers... (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/calling-all-barrel-racers-151013/)

OneFastHorse 01-23-2013 10:27 PM

Calling all barrel racers...

I'm going to give you a horse buying scenario. You give me your opinions.

I will be purchasing a project horse this spring. Normally I would buy a young horse, get it broke, pattern it and re-sell.

Upon talking to a guy up the road from me about hay, he peaked my interest with something else.

Some back story:
He has had a decent breeding operation for years. I have been breaking my neck looking at his babies, mares and stallion while driving by for years. Well bred stock, built nice, just un-shown and not much done with them so I really don't know if/what they could excel in.

Now, upon talking to him about hay I asked him if he had any young horses he wanted to sell. He said no, but he was thinking about gelding and selling his stallion. THIS peaked my interest.

About the stallion:
He is about 15h, dark dappled (almost looks kind of sooty) pally, built beautifully, big stocky big boned build. You know... LOOKS like a power house. He is 12. He was riding pretty well at one time, but he has not had anything done with him in a few years. He is healthy, sound and clean legged. He's never had any issues. He has a good, calm, easy going temperament even though he has basically been pasture breeding all his life and hasn't had much done with him. All his babies are built nice, pretty and docile.

I can't remember how he is bred off the top of my head (it's been years), nor do I remember his reg name. What I do remember is that he was well bred (better than average) with older race/barrel lines. Bred better on top than on bottom.

*I'm not considering him as a stud*

I want him as a potential gelding to finish and start on barrels, MAYBE re-sell this summer/fall depending on how he turns out.

As far as the price I would pay for him, well we aren't talking about a lot of money. He will be fairly priced for his training/lack-there-of and the current economy.

What are your opinions?

SorrelHorse 01-23-2013 11:59 PM

I think you could find something better and younger to be honest. I mean he sounds like a nice horse, but for something used for pasture breeding and recently gelded? No thank you...Some of those studly habits may very well be retained.

DrumRunner 01-24-2013 12:02 AM

I have to agree with SH, he sounds nice and may make a nice gelding but then again he may not and you're out the money of buying and gelding him. I'd stick with looking for a prospect or something you would *really* want.

OneFastHorse 01-24-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 1858987)
I think you could find something better and younger to be honest. I mean he sounds like a nice horse, but for something used for pasture breeding and recently gelded? No thank you...Some of those studly habits may very well be retained.

I would agree with you if I didn't already have experience with late gelded horses. The last one was a 15yr old OBNOXIOUS unhandled one and even he calmed down and made a great gelding. It took a few months, but he turned out great :)

This guy has a disposition to die for so retaining stallion habits isn't really a concern for me.

Another opinion is:
at the price I can buy him for, if nothing else he will be worth that as atrial horse if nothing else. Lets face it, ppl like pretty, registered geldings :)

Also.. he was broke enough that I could probably pattern him after 60-90 days of tuning.

Just some of my random thoughts.

And price wise... we are talking under $1,500.

OneFastHorse 01-24-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumRunner (Post 1858990)
I have to agree with SH, he sounds nice and may make a nice gelding but then again he may not and you're out the money of buying and gelding him. I'd stick with looking for a prospect or something you would *really* want.

The seller is having him gelded and then selling as a gelding. I do not have to have him gelded. It would be done before, or I wouldn't buy him.

SorrelHorse 01-24-2013 12:07 AM

No, I still am not really feeling it on this one. Of course it's up to you, but I could buy a nice unstarted colt and get some good results and do it my way, and they could be trained up and sold with many more years of training and lots more left. At the stage this horse is at, I would really expect him to be ready and solid already, not being refreshed after all this time and just now getting to the barrel pattern.

Like I said though, it's up to you.

OneFastHorse 01-24-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 1859004)
No, I still am not really feeling it on this one. Of course it's up to you, but I could buy a nice unstarted colt and get some good results and do it my way, and they could be trained up and sold with many more years of training and lots more left. At the stage this horse is at, I would really expect him to be ready and solid already, not being refreshed after all this time and just now getting to the barrel pattern.

Like I said though, it's up to you.

These are just random thoughts rolling around in my head...

He can be started on the pattern a lot faster than a 2/3yr old that's not started bc he already has his basics. A little tuning (the guy really does put nice handle on them.. Clinton Anderson-ish style with ground work and colt starting which I also follow)

I tend to think I could have him breezing a nice pattern a lot quicker than if I bought a colt.

Like I said... these are just my random thought... I'm trying to cover all aspects and get some opinions at the same time.

DrumRunner 01-24-2013 12:11 AM

I would consider it, I would just really think about what I was getting myself into with him as a project, pros and cons, would you have more of a success probability with the horse in question or a prospect. What's the finished product you're looking for? What would be your end goal with him and do you think he's capable of getti there at his age? Price wise he isn't bad, especially if you already know what you're getting but we all know actually buying the horse is the cheapest part about owning him.

It seems like you've already made your mind up, I'm already hearing that ou really like him, now just asking opinions about him and such.. It's really your decision in the end and you know more about your situation than we do and if you'll be able to get the horse where you want.

Phly 01-24-2013 12:12 AM

A good stud can be a good horse. There's lots of them running shows. That being said, he'll probly stay studly and housing him will be a bigger issue then riding him. Colt or 12 green is green.
Posted via Mobile Device

OneFastHorse 01-24-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumRunner (Post 1859009)
I would consider it, I would just really think about what I was getting myself into with him as a project, pros and cons, would you have more of a success probability with the horse in question or a prospect. What's the finished product you're looking for? What would be your end goal with him and do you think he's capable of getti there at his age? Price wise he isn't bad, especially if you already know what you're getting but we all know actually buying the horse is the cheapest part about owning him.

It seems like you've already made your mind up, I'm already hearing that ou realylike him, now just asking opinions about him and such.. It's really your decision in the end and you know more about your situation than we do and if you'll be able to get the horse where you want.

I just started to ponder this today and I am in no rush. Seller is in no rush to sell him either. It was just a casual convo between the 2 of us. I don't even know if he for sure will go through with it. If he decided to keep him, that's fine. No big deal.

I'm no where near making my mind up :-).

I guess my goal would just be a nice quiet trail/riding horse. I have no doubt he will be that. He is not obnoxious or studish acting. That's one reason I really like him. If he's that quiet with limited handling, I wonder how much better he'll be with some actual work. I'm pretty sure I could at least get my money back selling him as a trail horse.

I would love it if he took to barrels and actually turned out to be a 1D or 2D horse. He's bred to do it. But, it wouldn't be the end of the world if he didn't make it as a barrel horse.

I will for sure have time to access him (for stallion-like behavior) after he's been gelded before buying him.