The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   when using bit horse throws head (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/when-using-bit-horse-throws-head-15105/)

tomkat 09-23-2008 05:02 PM

when using bit horse throws head

:? HI!

We have a young 2 yr 7 month gelding. We've started riding him in the last 2 months, nothing harsh, and only using bridle.

We've introduced the bit, he did good, now he's decided he doesnt' want ti. It was an D ring snaffle.

SOO, now we've gone back and revised a bit, no pun intended, we didnt' have a rubber bit, we improvised with rope since he takes that easily.

BUT even with the metal bit and with this rope bit, he tosses his head, and makes circles with his head, it's kind of goofy! haha. BUt very annoying, we are light on the touch and not asking much of him , any slight tug or nudge, he starts tossing again and he actually makes himself a dizzy fool. ha.

ANybody know WHY he does this and how to stop it???

thanks!

iridehorses 09-23-2008 05:09 PM

Hi Tomkat and welcome to the forum.

At your horse's age I would have his teeth checked and most likely you'll find that he needs to have his Wolf teeth pulled.

tomkat 09-23-2008 05:31 PM

aaaaaaaah, I wondered about that, that's why I had a vet out last month and he was so bad, she had to sedate him with 2 doses, couldn't find anything going on but even with that he was hard to deal with, but she is scheduled to come back this week, with help, major sedation to look at his teeth, did think they needed floating but said it didn't seem too bad, but yet, I"m sure she didn't get a clear exam on him, so yeah that sounds right on but I can't get him to be still long enough to see in his mouth. He recently lost his 2 front teefies. I'll bet your right, that's why I had her out the first time to be sure and she basically discovered nothing then, maybe this week we'll know.

THANKS!

Angel_Leaguer 09-23-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses
Hi Tomkat and welcome to the forum.

At your horse's age I would have his teeth checked and most likely you'll find that he needs to have his Wolf teeth pulled.

took the words right out of my mouth...lol

or this may sound dumb....is the bridle possibly too tight??? just a thought. Hope everything goes well with the vet

tomkat 09-23-2008 07:57 PM

Hey
Thanks so much. No but I had considered that too. I don't like to keep the bridle so that the mouth wrinkles anyway. But we've tried various fits, he's fine unless you try to handle the reigns.

Good idea tho I'll be sure its not just in case.

Dumas'_Grrrl 09-23-2008 08:05 PM

once the dental check is done. Have you tried just letting him get used to packing the bit? I'm not trying to talk down to you...but ya know with the net...not everything is clear. :P

I was just wondering if you let hin have the bit in his mouth to just get used to it or if you put it in and straight away started messing with the reins?

Please let us know how the vet check goes. :D

tomkat 09-23-2008 08:23 PM

Yes we have actually, just letting him wear it, packing I guess if that's what it's called, ha. We've done that for quite some time. Off and on that is. I know you aren't talking down. I appreciate the tips, I think we'll have to start over after all this is done, will find out Saturday if he has wolf teeth, I can't even get him to open his mouth and can hardly touch his mouth, he won't have it. It's hard enough to get him to mouth the rope to put in and when he figures out what we want he starts throwing his head around again. I think it might be wolf teeth coming in, the vet couldnt' see much last time but felt like he needed floating but said it wasnt' that bad, her assistant wasn't with her and she wouldn't heavily sedate him without her assistant supposed to be out Saturday. called her a bit ago and she still doubted it was his wolf teeth, I 've had that assumption all along I guess he wouldnt' be very still last time, even with sedation, it's hard to get a good exam. She seems to think it's behavior, which it could be but I know him and weve had him since he was 7 months old, we KNOW his behavior. Something is wrong, whatever it is. he does fine with halters, with bits, he'll just stand there when the bit is in his mouth, you start messing with the reigns and he acts like a fool. haha. He even gets dizzy and starts tripping. That's dangerous enough.

appylover31803 09-23-2008 08:37 PM

is it a single jointed bit?
My mare will toss her head with just having a single jointed bit in her mouth.
Since I got her a double jointed bit, the tossing has stopped.

tomkat 09-23-2008 11:39 PM

any bit used thus far, will try anything tho, thanks!

TxHorseMom 09-24-2008 01:42 AM

This may sound weird, but having the bit too loose in his mouth may cause problems too. There are suppose to be 2 loose wrinkles in the mouth when a bit is properly fitted. If it is too loose and then you pick up the reins, it can "clank" in his mouth against his teeth. I have to agree with your vet to a degree. At this age he probably doesn't need floating, but it could be wolf teeth as suggested before. Good luck.