The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Smalll Horses in my area! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/smalll-horses-my-area-151069/)

Wallee 01-24-2013 11:58 AM

Smalll Horses in my area!

I have been buying and selling horses in my area for about 2 years now and I have found that in my area (northern mississippi) that finding solid built QH's is near impossible and when you do find one they are waaaayyy overpriced. Like a mediocre bred horse with no training for like 2500 $. Thats crazy lol. Anyone else out there have similar issues in there area? I am currently looking to buy another horse for myself and am finding it pretty hard to find one that meets the standards I am looking for. I am looking for something to use around the farm to rope off of and be able to carry my 6'1'' tail all day lol. But it looks like I will be looking for a while to find something that is over 15h with some weight to it. I can find 14h 900# little qh's all over though /sigh lol.

FeatheredFeet 01-24-2013 04:55 PM

Why limit yourself to only QHs? There are tons of heavy type (not draft) horses for sale all the time on CL. Certainly, many of them are underfed and might not have training, but the price is usually right. And of course, many breeds can be trained to sort/cut cattle. There again, I doubt all of your customers need or want necessarily, a horse whom they can use on cattle. And what about auctions? Which auctions do you attend regularly? Some truly wonderful horses ending up on dinner plates these days.

Lizzie

Wallee 01-25-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet (Post 1860095)
Why limit yourself to only QHs? There are tons of heavy type (not draft) horses for sale all the time on CL. Certainly, many of them are underfed and might not have training, but the price is usually right. And of course, many breeds can be trained to sort/cut cattle. There again, I doubt all of your customers need or want necessarily, a horse whom they can use on cattle. And what about auctions? Which auctions do you attend regularly? Some truly wonderful horses ending up on dinner plates these days.

Lizzie

You know what, you are right about limiting myself to Qh's! I attend a couple different auctions locally or within a hundred miles of my area. I am actually headed tomorrow afternoon to look at a belgian/qh cross. Its supposed to be trained to work and ride so we will see when I get there. Also your right on another point, A lot of customers I have are primarily trail riders as well!

amp23 01-25-2013 10:02 AM

I agree that you should look into other breeds. Although QHs are great for ranch work, there are others that work well too. I especially love draft crosses since they feel so sturdy! I hope the belgian/QH cross test goes well. Good luck in your search!

Wallee 01-25-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amp23 (Post 1861230)
I agree that you should look into other breeds. Although QHs are great for ranch work, there are others that work well too. I especially love draft crosses since they feel so sturdy! I hope the belgian/QH cross test goes well. Good luck in your search!

Well while we are talking about it, what all breeds of horses are good for ranch work in you guys op?

amp23 01-25-2013 10:41 AM

I have never had any personal experiences with ranch work, but I have heard of Arabians being used, and often grade horses can work out for whatever you need. I really think it depends on the specific horse rather than breed, just as in every discipline. I'd just keep my eyes open for anything and everything out there if I were you. :)

Wallee 01-25-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amp23 (Post 1861304)
I have never had any personal experiences with ranch work, but I have heard of Arabians being used, and often grade horses can work out for whatever you need. I really think it depends on the specific horse rather than breed, just as in every discipline. I'd just keep my eyes open for anything and everything out there if I were you. :)

Yeah I have found good horses through the years of all breeds. I think I am just kinda fond of the QH. I have always wanted to try out a few draft or draft crosses though as they look as if they could hold up to a lot of riding.

FeatheredFeet 01-25-2013 12:19 PM

I think most breeds and crossbreeds, can be used for ranch work. We have quite a few Gypsy Horse owners now, who are using their horses to round up, cut and sort cattle. Some of them also show these same horses in WP. Some use Gypsies for logging, delivering hay to far fields and general ranch work. I think some of us get stuck in thinking only certain breeds can be used for specific work or discipline.

Broaden your horizons, Wallee.

Lizzie

Elizabeth Bowers 01-25-2013 12:39 PM

I use my appaloosa gelding, and i had an appXQH and he did things at liberty!! If you can find a nice solid stock built appy they are great partners to work with once you understand their appytude LOL. I have a grade paint mare who works cattle, i didn't even know she would tolerate cattle. She needs to bulk up some.
There are many good breeds out there, even crosses are nice and sometimes outdo their full blooded siblings. :-) Best of luck!!!

Critter sitter 01-25-2013 01:10 PM

Appendix/qh work great if the build is right.