The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   how often should you bath your horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-often-should-you-bath-your-151092/)

lasso 01-24-2013 06:34 PM

how often should you bath your horse

do you need to give your horse a bath every day if not how often

waresbear 01-24-2013 06:38 PM

Everyday? NO! Soap robs the coat of it's natural shine & oils. If the horse is sweaty, you can rinse them but no soap is needed. For me, the only time I bathe a horse is if there is a show the next day, other than that, besides rinsing the sweat, they are not bathed.

verona1016 01-24-2013 06:40 PM

Same here- my horse only gets a bath if he's going to a show, and he gets rinsed off if he gets very sweaty.

Casey02 01-24-2013 08:01 PM

Ditto, my horse gets a bath once a year. Other than that he is left alone unless I want to rinse (no soap) sweat off him.

Horsecrazy4 01-24-2013 08:39 PM

Agree with the last 3 answers(: only if going to a show and I will spray them down when really hot but no soap :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Lexiie 01-24-2013 08:50 PM

Before shows, or if she's just dripping sweat, then we have a super long "bath time" lol

I've heard somewhere, no idea where, but that rinsing your horse too often is bad for their skin.
I can understand if they don't dry, but I usually rinse her off then let her roll around in the dust and stay out in her field.

Has anyone else heard that?

Horsecrazy4 01-24-2013 08:52 PM

I have but I can't rember either lol.. I thought I seen a post about it on here but correct me if I'm wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

Haileyyy 01-24-2013 09:14 PM

I don't show but I do bathe as needed. That would be when one of the piggies decide that they should get filthy and some brushing and elbow grease won't cut it. Or when we go out(trail rides) or have someone come over that I wouldn't want to see my horses dirty.

I do rinse my horses when they are sweaty, but I use a sweat scraper afterwards so they aren't soaked. That is only in the summer or spring though, in the winter if they are sweaty I throw a cooler sheet on them and then brush them well afterwards because our well water is COLD in the winter.

waresbear 01-24-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexiie (Post 1860460)
Before shows, or if she's just dripping sweat, then we have a super long "bath time" lol

I've heard somewhere, no idea where, but that rinsing your horse too often is bad for their skin.
I can understand if they don't dry, but I usually rinse her off then let her roll around in the dust and stay out in her field.

Has anyone else heard that?

Sweat would be worse, the salt dulls the coat. Water isn't going to hurt skin, if its does, I really am interested in how? Anyways, letting a horse roll after a rinse is like heaven to them, at least every horse I have ever seen. Probably the reason why they all do it!

Strange 01-24-2013 09:27 PM

A full bath is definitely not needed every day; it strips the natural oils from their coat and will actually make their coat look really dull. I rinse them off when it warms up and they get really sweaty, probably bathe them twice a month in warm weather unless there's a show or they manage to get absolutely filthy.