The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   My horse is afraid of Cows :-) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/my-horse-afraid-cows-15113/)

Painteddreamfarm 09-23-2008 07:51 PM

My horse is afraid of Cows :-)

So i had yet to really find anything that scared my horse pippa in that last few years that i have had her! Well today while riding down the road with my friend Pippa ( my mare ) decided that cows where really scary!! She litterally bolted forward and took off running until she was past them! She was all nervous and scared. Best part is i cant tell you how many times i have ridden by them in the past !!! so im slightly confused. lol. I think it is because the cows actually like ambushed the fence and were snoofing the air and raising thier tails it was weird. Poor girl!!!

KiwiRyder 09-23-2008 08:19 PM

haha yeah didn't you know cows eat horses?! We have have horse eating sheep up the road here as well! Also a horse eating bridge with scary shadow trolls

Painteddreamfarm 09-23-2008 09:06 PM

ha ha yes everything eats horses.. specially rode kill, trash cans, oh yeah and a pink robe! i wore out over my clothes cause i was cold and its bright pink and it scared the living daylights out of my horse :-) The other two did not care but she was so freaked... which you would think she would be used to pink as her whole warbdrobe is pink :-)

Vidaloco 09-23-2008 09:11 PM

When we first got our girls they were afraid of cows. Since we live in an area with cattle all around us they had to get over it quick. We did a lot of circles and actually got the horse to chase the cows (don't tell the rancer) try to always keep the cow in front of you never behind you. the horse has to learn that the cow is afraid of it.

TxHorseMom 09-23-2008 11:17 PM

Once I was riding my Arab mare and my daughter was riding a rescued QH mare down our road (that we were retraining) and we came upon the biggest bull I'd ever seen! (we live in a very rural area) He was behind a fence, but right at it. The QH freaked a bit, and tried to hide behind my arab. We had to laugh and told pixie (the QH) that SHE was the "cow horse" not my arab!! :lol: My arab had never seen a cow either and you could tell she was nervous/curious but she is a good girl and trusts me, so she didn't freak. It really is funny how they will see something a million times and the million and first time they decide it is going to eat them.

crackrider 09-24-2008 03:22 AM

Oh yeah cows are right up there with ponies when it comes to things that will eat horses!! :D

One of the horses I'm riding at the moment doesn't like cows that much but its when the little ponies come running that she FREAKS!
She hits the breaks and looks at them as if to say:
"WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!!!"
Then she bolts and if she could talk then she'd be yelling "Evil mutant ninja ponies! RUN!!"

LOL :D

Painteddreamfarm 09-24-2008 09:12 AM

MIni's too! when i first brought my 3 yr old home she was so scared of the mini and always ran from it so one day i made them touch noses and after about 20 minutes she figured it was okay but was never really sure of it. I have a picture of when they were touching noseshttp://www.horseforum.com/userpix/5209_bailey_1.jpg

Dumas'_Grrrl 09-24-2008 09:52 AM

LOL... The mini looks like it is saying "HI!, How are you today?" and the Mare looks plumb freaked out! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a great picture!!!

3neighs 09-24-2008 11:25 AM

My previous mare was afraid of cows, but only Holsteins. She feared them all 22 years I had her. I guess since I didn't have to encounter cows except for ones way out in fields we'd pass by, I didn't work too hard at changing her behavior.