The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Ooops there's a foal 2013 (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/ooops-theres-foal-2013-a-151150/)

FGRanch 01-25-2013 05:14 AM

Ooops there's a foal 2013

7 Attachment(s)
Ahhhh a surprise. Well after a very rough 2012 it seems that 2013 has started off with a huge lift off. We had our first foal, Shiver, Jan 09. Our next foal was supposed to be born on March 12. Well today when I got home I saw a baby standing out in the mare pen. I was surprised thinking the mare must have foaled early, which seemed strange as I had checked her this AM and she looked nowhere near ready to foal. Anyways I ran out to see that my other mare Gunnie was the Mamma.

I was in total shock. I checked every other mares legs just to be sure, even though Gunnie had blood on her legs. I though NO WAY is this possible.

Gunnie has been a reproductive mess since we bought her 4 years ago. We bred her that year, she came up open. The next year she was full of cyst and her bloodwork was way off. We never bred her. I put her in with my stallion at the advice of my vet (who said my stallion might tease her in) we watched and saw no signs on him breeding her. Anyways U/S her two weeks later and she wasn't even in trasition. Then 30, 50, 120 days later U/S once again. Still had not progressed and was full of cyst. My vet informed me that this mare was only going to break my heart, she would never have a foal. It did break my heart, this was my dream mare, the mare I had dreamed of owing and breeding my whole life. Anyways, so now standing at her side is the MOST beautiful filly I have ever seen, yes I may be biased.

Now before you all get up in arms, yes the mare looked in foal. As she did every other year. She has bagged up, got big and acted that she was going to foal the last 3 years. We all, including my vet, figured it was the same thing. We U/S her FOUR times. She checked open every time. The vet that ultrasounded her open is not in the country for another 6 weeks and I cannot wait to call him and tell him about this, we have even name the filly after him, Meeka.

Anyways without further ado here is Meeka, my little heartbreak cure. She is perfect in every single way!

franknbeans 01-25-2013 05:40 AM

Awww-congrats! What a wonderful surprise!

CCBella 01-25-2013 05:40 AM

Congrats, she is very cute.

HorseLovinLady 01-25-2013 06:31 AM

Awww she's so cute, love all the chrome!! Is she bay or chestnut/sorrel? Oh and congrats!

SouthernTrails 01-25-2013 07:20 AM

What a Cute Surprise :-)

MHFoundation Quarters 01-25-2013 07:54 AM

That's awesome. She's darling! I can imagine your elation, doing a little happy dance for you!
Posted via Mobile Device

Druydess 01-25-2013 07:57 AM

Many happy returns!! What a wonderful surprise!!:clap::clap::happydance:

She's darling!

Lopin N Paint 01-25-2013 08:00 AM

Wow, how great is that?

Congratulations!

So I suppose this one is a keeper? :wink:

BBBCrone 01-25-2013 09:01 AM

Oh my gosh ... what a little cutie pie. A GREAT beauty to come home to. Congratulations!

texasgal 01-25-2013 09:03 AM

Are ya gonna breed the mare back? *wink*

SHE.SHOWED.YOU .. huh?

Nice filly.