The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Shedding gimmick - sleekez (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/shedding-gimmick-sleekez-151161/)

Saddlebag 01-25-2013 09:22 AM

Shedding gimmick - sleekez

An ad for these popped up so tho't I try to learn more. For $40 you are getting a hacksaw blade inset in a handle. Where I live a hacksaw blade costs just over a dollar or a pkg of 10 for $5. I started using a hacksaw blade years ago. My hubby, being a welder always had some used ones for me which still worked great. They are thin and flexible-just hold with thumb and forefinger on each hand and watch the hair come out.

MHFoundation Quarters 01-25-2013 09:27 AM

Don't you just love how things can be so outrageously priced just because they are marketed towards horse folks. For shedding out, I love slick & easy blocks but to pay $4 for a single one marketed for horses is so silly when I can go to the restaurant supply store and buy a large grill block for less than 3 bucks and cut 10 or more of them from one block.

Saddlebag 01-25-2013 09:40 AM

I've heard grill stones are the only thing that will remove bot eggs. I wipe dirty auto oil on the horse's front legs which stops the bot flies from laying where the horse can reach.

franknbeans 01-25-2013 10:28 AM

I love that the slick and easy blocks are MORE expensive when sold to unknowing folks as a gimmick to remove pilling on clothes. First thing I have ever seen that was less expensive for horse folks.....and yes-they work. They work well for bot eggs too-much like a grill stone, really.

waresbear 01-25-2013 08:42 PM

Sleekez is not a gimmick!!!!! I have one, no comparison to any brush, block, nothing, this thing works better than anything I have ever tried! Yes it is a hacksaw blade but they figured out the best size & put it in a holder that is easy on your hand. I thought the furminator was pretty decent when the horses first started their shed, but it jammed up quite a bit. The sleekez does not, and it removes dirt like nobody's business. I love, love, love it!