The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Smith Brothers Riser Pad (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/smith-brothers-riser-pad-151163/)

SarahSch 01-25-2013 08:48 AM

Smith Brothers Riser Pad

Saddle Pad Riser - Smith Brothers

I've tried to find a saddle for my horse..thoroughbred with somewhat high withers and a little on the narrow side ..but I can't afford to custom fit a saddle right now ..
Has anyone had any success with front riser pads?

SouthernTrails 01-25-2013 09:19 AM

If the Angle of the Bars in the Saddle are correctly matching your Horse's Angle, then those types of pads can work.
If the angles do not match, you would only be padding the problem.

SarahSch 01-25-2013 09:36 AM

Thank you ..I don't have a lot of experience saddle fitting and I just want to make sure everything is fitting properly!

SarahSch 01-25-2013 10:57 AM

ProLite Front Riser- Adjustable Wide | RIE3989 | Greenhawk

What about this one..because it has adjustable pads would it be the better option? assuming my saddle does line up with the angle of the horse..

SouthernTrails 01-25-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahSch (Post 1861328)
ProLite Front Riser- Adjustable Wide | RIE3989 | Greenhawk

What about this one..because it has adjustable pads would it be the better option? assuming my saddle does line up with the angle of the horse..

If the bars are at the wrong angle for your Horse, that may be a solution

SarahSch 01-25-2013 11:15 AM

Oh! Okay.
So that pad could help create the correct angle for the horse?
That would probably be a handy thing to have around anyway..if it would allow me to adjust the fit for each horse..
If the angles are correct with my saddle and the horse..could a pad with a cut out for the wither maybe be all I need..
I think I'm going to go do some reading on saddle fitting..if you know of any good links feel free to share! :)

SouthernTrails 01-25-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahSch (Post 1861361)
Oh! Okay.
So that pad could help create the correct angle for the horse?
That would probably be a handy thing to have around anyway..if it would allow me to adjust the fit for each horse..
If the angles are correct with my saddle and the horse..could a pad with a cut out for the wither maybe be all I need..
I think I'm going to go do some reading on saddle fitting..if you know of any good links feel free to share! :)

Shims that have a wedge shape can help, not that I recommend it for a permanent solution :wink:

Here is a link to some picture I posted on fitting http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...6/#post1858409

The thing with shims and padding up it does that correct the whole frame of the Saddle? This the reason for my reluctance to say it can be a permanent solution

SarahSch 01-25-2013 11:33 AM

Great diagrams..simple but explains so well what to look for..before I buy any pads I will check out the angles :) thanks so much

Jim Andy 01-28-2013 05:57 PM

I too thank you that helps me understand better as well.