The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   1/2 or 3/4 ton truck? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/1-2-3-4-ton-truck-151188/)

whisperbaby22 01-25-2013 02:12 PM

1/2 or 3/4 ton truck?

I have a 2 horse slant 2800 pounds that I am very happy with. I currently haul with a 1/2 ton, only short local trips. I now am going to have to haul the trailer up a steep dirt road. The road is windy, and the steep part is only about 12 yards, just a small bad spot on the road. I am going to buy a 4 wheel drive but don't know if I need another 1/2 ton or should go with a 3/4 ton. I only do short local trips, never on the freeway, and don't want to get more truck than I need. Going up should be no problem, but it's going down I am worried about. It's such a short piece of road, and if it was raining I can easily haul the trailer down and then lead my horse down the hill to the trailer. I only have 1 horse.

~*~anebel~*~ 01-25-2013 02:22 PM

Used to haul with a 1/2 ton, got a 3/4 ton and I am never ever hauling with a 1/2 ton ever again. The difference is huge. If you can get a good 4x4 3/4 ton then you will be set to take a 2 horse trailer anywhere.

PaintHorseMares 01-25-2013 02:25 PM

For the driving you're talking about a 1/2 ton would work fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

usandpets 01-25-2013 02:40 PM

The 1/2 ton should work BUT if you can invest in a 3/4 ton, I would. Just like with trailers, some good advice I got after we got our trailer was get bigger than you need. What happens down the road if you have a 1/2 ton but get a larger trailer? Then you'll need to upgrade your truck. Since you're already looking to get a new(er) truck, do the upgrade now.

Do you really want to have to unload the horse, tie horse up, move truck, go back for horse, reload and be on your way. What if is down pouring? Do you want to do it that way when you could just go fine with a bigger and better truck?
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 01-25-2013 02:43 PM

Gosh, I was gonna say that I was thrilled to move up from a 3/4 ton to a full ton Doolie!
You can't have too much power towing, so I'd move up.

Joe4d 01-25-2013 02:44 PM

1/2 ton is a pretty meaningless term these days. the trucks in that class cover a HUGE range of capabilities. No way to answer your question without knowing the specifics on your truck. Engine, rear end ration makes a big difference in towing capabilities. You need to look up the specs on your specific truck to know its safe tow rating.

whisperbaby22 01-25-2013 02:52 PM

Thank you everybody for your input. I won't ever need a larger trailer, I only trail ride, and can leave my horse at my house, drive the trailer down to the bottom of the hill, and walk back up to get him, it' under 1/2 mile from the bottom of the hill to the house. I have been reading this forum for a while, and just joined because I have been going back and forth in my mind about this new truck. Most people say get more truck, but since I would need "more truck" for just such a small part of the hill, I thought I'd ask for some input.

PaintHorseMares 01-25-2013 02:59 PM

We tow 2 horses in a steel stock BP trailer with a 1/2 ton RAM V-8 Hemi w/tow package all over the place with no trouble. I would certainly want the V-8 and the tow package on anything you consider.
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 01-25-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 1861717)
We tow 2 horses in a steel stock BP trailer with a 1/2 ton RAM V-8 Hemi w/tow package all over the place with no trouble. I would certainly want the V-8 and the tow package on anything you consider.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is our situation exactly. The Hemi works great for us and we've never had problems. Depending on what type of truck you purchase, you probably won't need a 3/4, but it is nice to have a little extra power than you need.

Lockwood 01-25-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 1861717)
Posted via Mobile Device

I have the same truck. Love it to bits (far better than the GMC pro grade hauling 2500 and the Fords I've owned) and depending on which type it is (SLT, Sport..etc) you can do some pretty good work with this truck.
But....

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 1861745)
This is our situation exactly. The Hemi works great for us and we've never had problems. Depending on what type of truck you purchase, you probably won't need a 3/4, but it is nice to have a little extra power than you need.

I've also had the 3/4 Hemi and certainly prefered it to the 1/2.
However, the 1/2 Hemi will get the job done for the hills and roads you describe.
My trailer is much heavier than yours when it's empty and I still have no problems stuffing it with two more tons of whatever I need (hay usually) and it will get the job done! :D