The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Scary Experience, being followed. (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/scary-experience-being-followed-151192/)

OutOfTheLoop 01-25-2013 01:42 PM

Scary Experience, being followed.

I work about an hour away from home. As I was on the interstate on my way home this morning, a car pulled up beside me and honked. I ignored it at first, then I got curious AMD looked over and someone was waving. I didn't want to be rude, so I waved back thinking it was someone I knew. After a minute and a closer look, I realized I didn't know this person, and saw their car tags, and realized I really didn't know this person.He followed me about9 more miles down the interstate, and got off the exit behind me. Followed me 20 more miles into town, and followed me through town. At this point I text my fiance, who is a sargeant at our county sheriffs department. I drove to the sheriff's office, and he met me outside, where the guy proceeded to turn around in the court parking lot and leave. We got his tag number and was able to go inside and run them, and I have never heard of this person before. I am a little freaked out because he followed me two counties away. I stayed at the sheriff's office for about 30 minutes, then my fiance followed me home. He had to go back to work but said he was going to drive around first and see if he saw his car anywhere. This makes me scared to go to my car to go to work in the morning. And he lives in the county that I work in so makes me freaked to get out of my car in work parking lot. I have a gun, but in't have my carry permit, and am seriously considering carryingng it anyways.

All you ladies, please pay attention to what's going on around you, if I hadn't realized this I would have went straight home with him following me. I had 3 weeks of Rape and Self Defense training back in the fall, and I pray that I never have to use it. This program is called R.A.D and I highly reccomend women to look into this and see if its offered in your area. Especially after today!
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 01-25-2013 01:45 PM

That is creepy!
Posted via Mobile Device

SouthernTrails 01-25-2013 01:47 PM

Another Problem is someone will bump into your car at a traffic light or stop sign in a remote area, their intent is not always accidental, if this happens, lock the doors and call 911, if the person gets threatening drive off and call 911 again letting them know they got aggressive.

There was a rash of victims in the Atlanta are a few years ago that turned into with car jackings and kidnappings.

Be safe out there :wink:

Corporal 01-25-2013 01:49 PM

Hindsight is 20/20, but anybody that experiences this, DON'T wave--we all give our cell ph#'s to our friends who can call us--but honk your horn, get loud and call #911 while driving. It's like screaming in a crowd when followed. Tell the police the driver near you is driving wild and probably drunk, and give your app. mile marker #, and the direction you're travelling in. SO glad you made it to the police station.

OutOfTheLoop 01-25-2013 01:50 PM

Yes STG, I told my fiance that I thought about driving out towards the boarding barn if he hadn't answered his phone, and he told me the exact thing you just did. Never drive to a remote area be aide someone with bad intentions will try to knowck you off the road.
Posted via Mobile Device

OutOfTheLoop 01-25-2013 01:53 PM

He told me to call work and make sure that person doesn't work there, and ro see if its ok if someone could come out and walk me into work for a little while since he lives in the county I work in. It's so scary and now I am paranoid. Constantly looking out the window and watching everything. I want to hole myself up in my house now and never go outside.
Posted via Mobile Device

LadyDreamer 01-25-2013 04:18 PM

Check your laws. In my state, our glove compartments are considered an "extension of our homes" and it is permissible to have a firearm there without a permit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maple 01-25-2013 04:27 PM

Oh my!! Well done staying composed and thinking logically!

Fingers crossed that you get this all sorted, and please try not to stress too much.

Cacowgirl 01-25-2013 04:28 PM

That is very scary, but smart that you drove to the sherriff's office & your guy works there. Hopefully the stalker got the hint & was scared off. And you know some things about him. Most of us wouldn't be able to get that information. Be alert, stay safe.

egrogan 01-25-2013 08:45 PM

I had an experience like this as a teenager. I was working a seasonal job at the mall in a small city in upstate NY- I was living with my parents over college break in an even smaller little town where I grew up. One night, after closing the store at the mall (late holiday hours too), I headed home, and noticed someone start following me pretty immediately (it was late, there were few other cars, and this one stayed almost exactly the same distance away from me whether I sped up or slowed down). It was about a 20 minute drive, and the car took all the same turns I took, off the 4-lane road, through our little tiny town, and on out to the outskirts of town where my parents lived. It was during the time when you kept a cell phone in your glove box "for emergencies only," and I sure did use it! Instead of turning left onto my street, I turned right into a little housing development, and that car turned right and followed me again. At that point, I was able to get my mom on the phone (thankfully she answered), and I took a roundabout way out of the development onto the street I lived on. She had all the lights on the house on and was waiting outside for me.

I never knew if that was good or not, because whoever this person was ended up seeing where I lived. But luckily, nothing ever came of it.

Sorry for the novel, your story just brought back such a vivid memory for me. I'm glad yours ended well and you had a safe place to go. Hopefully just some stupid guy bored and looking to get someone riled up.