The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Is it posible to work in exchange for boarding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/posible-work-exchange-boarding-151202/)

horsefan3000 01-25-2013 04:50 PM

Is it posible to work in exchange for boarding?

Hi my 13 year old friend LOVES horses and was wondering if it's posible to work off at least half the cost boarding a horse?

thanks!!!:wink:

Horsecrazy4 01-25-2013 04:56 PM

Some places will do that.. I have seen adds for places if u clean stalls and feed water exc. they will board for free or half of board. I would find some local barns and talk to them with your parents. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 01-25-2013 04:57 PM

It depends on the barn, to be honest. My best friend works off part of her board cleaning stalls at my old barn. However, the new barn I just moved to doesn't allow people to work off their board (or even part of it). Your friend needs to ask the barns in your area.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsefan3000 01-25-2013 04:59 PM

thanks guys, I'll tell her =)

waleybean 01-27-2013 01:10 PM

Not so much these days I would say, well not in the UK anyway. Most places want the money.

Saddlebag 02-02-2013 02:37 PM

I tried that. The deal was she could work for her lessons. She was a nice kid so I'd let her trail ride with her friend whose horse I boarded. My mistake. She became less interested in working. I switched the plan. I'd pay her for her work, and she could spend her money however she chose but would have to pay for lessons or riding time. That I found that worked out far better. If she bummed around with her friend and did little she was paid accordingly.

EquestrianCowgirl4 02-02-2013 04:54 PM

Well at my barn I work off half of my boarding by cleaning pens and stalls and just helping around the barn.