The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Keeping a Horse Clean (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/keeping-horse-clean-151230/)

animallove 01-25-2013 07:50 PM

Keeping a Horse Clean

Any tricks on how to keep a horse clean? I know it's almost impossible for a horse to be clean all the time if it resides outside, however, I am having trouble with my gelding who loves the mud and rolls in it daily. This does not bother me but I would like to brush him less frequently as I do not have all the time in the world. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

hca 01-26-2013 07:48 PM

Put him in a stall Or you will have to keep brushing him out.

LexusK 01-26-2013 09:47 PM

Welcome to my world! My grey loves to roll the second after I turn out after a good brushing or bath.

Here he is going at it immediately after a bath:

I've just learned to accept it, lol :)

Saddlebag 01-26-2013 10:28 PM

Just thoroughly groom the saddle and bridle areas.

Haley 01-26-2013 10:34 PM

In the muddy/cooler months, a blanket will keep them clean for the most part.

waresbear 01-26-2013 10:38 PM

Now I feel grateful for all the snow we have! Mine love to roll in it and keep sparkling clean, even the loud colored paint dude. Takes me a total of 2 minutes to brush before a ride. But when spring rolls around & the thaw begins & the hair sheds, there is no way around the elbow grease it takes to clean them up, if you have horses that live outdoors & like to roll.
Posted via Mobile Device

Eolith 01-26-2013 10:58 PM

My horse is turned out by day and spends his nights in the stall. I make a habit of brushing the dried mud off of him every morning. It comes off really easily with a curry, then I use a dandy brush to flick off the dust. It doesn't really do any good to try to groom them when the mud is still moist though.

As long as the horse's coat and skin is healthy, it'll polish off to a decent shine with just a little bit of work. ^_^

ShelC 02-12-2013 06:51 AM

I noticed with all of my horses, that they preferred to roll when they weren't completely dry from either rain or sweat. It irritated their skin so they rolled to help dry off. All animals do. So I just began bathing them and drying them completely before turning them back out, and they completely ignored the urge! Still can't fully solve the rainy day but it might be better to keep them inside during the day (also preserves their coat color from sun-bleach), just so they'll be clean and dry for you before tacking up. That is of course if you prefer riding in the afternoon.

SorrelHorse 02-12-2013 07:00 AM

I moved mine inside for that reason. You could do a blanket and a hood, that's what I do with mine who are out.

Saddlebag 02-12-2013 08:06 AM

Blanketing. If God wanted horses to wear a blanket they'd have been born with them on. As it was they all got fur coats. My horses love to roll in the sand in the riding ring. This shines their coats better than hours of grooming. Rolling isn't always about being itchy it also shifts the digestive system. When a horse is bathed it removes much of the natural bacteria from the skin. When they want to roll they are seeking to replenish it. When a horse is brushed or vacuumed it isn't so inclined to feel the need to roll.