The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Solid Gold Seameal (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/solid-gold-seameal-151251/)

2SCHorses 01-25-2013 10:26 PM

Solid Gold Seameal

Does anyone feed this to his/her horse? If so, will your horse eat it plain or with a little water to 'paste' it to his/her food, or do you have to add something sugary? (My gelding's on a low NSC diet so no sugary snacks). Thanks!!

Lockwood 01-25-2013 10:32 PM

While I have not used this particular product, I do feed plain organic kelp meal.
(dried seaweed)
I sprinkle it over my horse's feed and he licks his bucket spotlessly clean.
Same with some other small livestock I have on my farm.

2SCHorses 01-26-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lockwood (Post 1862553)
While I have not used this particular product, I do feed plain organic kelp meal.
(dried seaweed)
I sprinkle it over my horse's feed and he licks his bucket spotlessly clean.
Same with some other small livestock I have on my farm.

Thanks! I am just going to try it. If worse comes to worse, I can feed it to my dogs if the horses won't eat it. My dogs will eat anything in their bowls!!

loosie 01-27-2013 02:04 AM

Is it just - or mostly seaweed meal? If so, most horses tend to like it IME, but do be aware that while seaweed is touted to have so many different nutrients in it, it has very low amounts of everything but iodine, which is quite high. So to feed it as a general supp may OD the horse on iodine, unless it's diet is particularly low in that. So I tend to use it to treat iodine deficiency, not as a general thing. Of course, if you don't know your soil/pasture or do a diet analysis, you don't know what your horse is already getting, so can't know what he's deficient, imbalanced or already over supplied in, to know what may be appropriate supps for him.

2SCHorses 01-27-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 1864360)
Is it just - or mostly seaweed meal? If so, most horses tend to like it IME, but do be aware that while seaweed is touted to have so many different nutrients in it, it has very low amounts of everything but iodine, which is quite high. So to feed it as a general supp may OD the horse on iodine, unless it's diet is particularly low in that. So I tend to use it to treat iodine deficiency, not as a general thing. Of course, if you don't know your soil/pasture or do a diet analysis, you don't know what your horse is already getting, so can't know what he's deficient, imbalanced or already over supplied in, to know what may be appropriate supps for him.

It has nineteen different types of seaweed (including kelp), flax meal, dried lemon, probiotics, and pineapple. The dose for a 1000 lb horse is one tablespoon. I have emailed them for the iodine content and hope to hear from them soon.