The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   is my Jumping position improving ? Video (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/my-jumping-position-improving-video-151261/)

OliviaMyee 01-26-2013 01:35 AM

is my Jumping position improving ? Video

alexischristina 01-26-2013 05:33 AM

Your stirrups are too long. Look at the way your legs seem to straighten out over some of the fences, 'jet skiing' my coach calls it. You want to have your knees bent, absorbing your motion. You need to work on your eye for distances, you're consistently finding awkward spots to your jumps and getting left behind, thus falling harder on your horses back or catching him in the mouth, or jumping ahead of the motion.
I'd like to see you finding and maintaining a nice, steady rhythm rather than pushing for the 'move up', at this point it looks a bit awkward / rushed and until you're finding your distances you're just pushing him and throwing him at the fence. Something tells me also that you need to work on using your core strength / developing a bit more, you either seem to be sitting back too early or being 'stuck' too far forward for an extra stride or so, depending on the distance you get.

As a side note, your hands are a little 'loud' when posting, I'd work on quieting them a little.

OliviaMyee 01-26-2013 09:45 AM

I have back problems but my back is getting stronger, back used to hurt everytime i jumped now it hurts only sometimes. Ill stop throwing Slip forward into the jump as i can see it unbalances him and practically makes jumping worse! omg this whole time, i needed a steady canter ! Will try my best in everything else you mentioned. Ive just started working on soft hands will see if there is improvement in a video in some weeks. Good critique, very good :)

gypsygirl 01-26-2013 10:11 AM

i would work on getting him more adjustable at the canter. right now you both seem to be scrambling in front of the fences. give him a good half halt about 6 strides out and keep your leg lightly on his side and he will be able to figure out a good distance on his own. he seems like he could make a really good jumping horse.

if you want to ride with your stirrups at that length bc of your knee thats fine. but right now you are in a chair seat. when you canter, all your weight is on your seat bones, not down you leg. this makes you insecure at the canter and over fences. i would practice lots and lots of 2pt at w t c. just little tweaks and you both will be much more solid =]

OliviaMyee 01-26-2013 10:12 PM

Definitely will be working on the canter and striding now. I will just try to have a steady canter and let Slip figure it out like you said gypsygirl. When no ones looking ill do half seat lol.. people around here don't know what it is.
Very good critique to thanks :)

OliviaMyee 01-26-2013 10:13 PM

see this is the critique i like ! not the other critique with no explanations for things that are said !

OliviaMyee 01-26-2013 10:24 PM

Thats from yesterday
dont tell me to jump lower please... His not my horse i dont have control over everything it makes me pissy when im told to do something.. i just want critique of my riding. Any ways i like jumping this hight.

Corazon Lock 01-26-2013 10:32 PM

I might be wrong here, but I would say that you need to give with your hands a little and release more over the jump. I don't see your hands moving up the neck - it's something I have a hard time with too. Because Slip has such a long neck, and a lower one when jumping, it can be harder to release.

I agree with the above posters about core strength. I have the same problem also with my back hurting after riding. I think if you worked on your core outside of horseback riding, you would see that pain go away.

On a side note, I think there are special stirrups made to help with knee pain. I would look into those. As you begin to jump higher, you'll need your stirrups shortened so you can be in a proper two-point over the jump - look into some George Morris columns, he's got great explanations about that. Also, I see someone mentioned a chair seat - I have one too, and I think it affects your balance as well as your ability to move in and out of two-point easily.

Hope that helps.

OliviaMyee 01-26-2013 10:49 PM

Thanks, i like this critique:) i do bike ride and swim and pain has gone away immensely i should try walking and running though.. but i hate going slow. really good critique, will keep trying my best and making videos.

OliviaMyee 01-26-2013 10:50 PM

Can i wrap leather stirrups around twice ?