The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Competetive Mounted Orienteering (CMO) (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/competetive-mounted-orienteering-cmo-151263/)

Deschutes 01-26-2013 01:02 AM

Competetive Mounted Orienteering (CMO)

I think I just found my calling.

I had thought this was competetive trail, but I did some research, after my Lease Owner suggested it to me, and it looks like loads of fun!

Basically its like a mounted treasure hunt! The best part? Its in the wide open, like trail riding, and its competive! Plus it makes you think. : ) I'm very excited for this in the spring. Does anyone else do this? What are your experiences?

smrobs 01-26-2013 01:04 AM

Wow, I've never heard of that before but it does sound like a boatload of fun. I wish we had more public horse activities around here. I can go and daywork at ranches and feedlots and I enjoy that, but sometimes I want to meet more than just a bunch of old crusty cowboys and go have some fun just fooling around.

Deschutes 01-26-2013 01:07 AM

Its actually pretty new in my area. I think if you get enough interest, maybe your area can set up a chapter! There's even a nationals, I found out. : )

QOS 01-26-2013 01:25 AM

I have read about it and would love to participate. I think the best trail ride we had was using our Garmins to find a particular waypoint from a direction we had not started in. Woo Hoo. It was like a treasure hunt. Loved it!

Dustbunny 01-26-2013 01:52 AM

I can feel your enthusiasm!
I thought, Well, that would be fun. Then I told myself to get a grip. I'd have to learn to use a GPS thingie. I can barely work a cell phone, and a "stupid" one at that.
You live in a beautiful area. Keep us posted as you educate yourself in the sport.

Deschutes 01-26-2013 01:54 AM

Thank you! I hope there will be lots and lots of pictures! Aw man, spring can't come soon enough!

smrobs 01-26-2013 02:00 AM

GPS, what's that?! :rofl:

In my area, a treasure hunt would be more like this:

1- go to the old Elm tree on Forbau's north pasture and find a locust husk
2- look deep in the Indian Cave for an arrowhead
3- Cross Commission Creek on Meauborn's west 40 and go south until you find the old windmill beside the remains of a homestead. Look in the fireplace for a note...

Deschutes 01-26-2013 02:20 AM

I think it would be a great fund raiser to start up, if you ever want to do something like that, Smrobs.

Maybe to benefit a local rescue or shelter.

usandpets 01-26-2013 03:01 AM

Sounds interesting. We've done a few judged trail rides, I think similar to competitive trail rides, except you aren't timed.
Posted via Mobile Device

TheOtherHorse 01-26-2013 07:44 AM

I did a couple CMOs when I lived in Michigan. Fun! They don't have any here in Kentucky yet, but if they do I would love to do more of them. I will say, a good ride manager can make or break the experience. I did one that was poorly planned and the clues did not make sense, and that was just frustrating. The rest of them were great fun though!