The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Will the Kensington fly sheet prevent fading?/Flies (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/will-kensington-fly-sheet-prevent-fading-151357/)

Black Beauty 94 01-26-2013 09:21 PM

Will the Kensington fly sheet prevent fading?/Flies

Hi,
I was just wondering if the Kensington Fly sheet will prevent fading or if I would be better off buying SmartDark and Handsome from Spartpak?

Also, is there a feed through supplement (or some other form) that actually works on flys? I am thinking about SmartBug Off from Smarpak but I don't want to waist my money....
I don't want my gelding to have cracking hoofs and puffy eyes from flies though, and he is not a fan of wearing fly protection.

Thanks

PunksTank 01-26-2013 09:28 PM

Subbing - curious about the feed through fly repellant

Black Beauty 94 01-26-2013 09:59 PM

Bump!!

TurnNBurn144 01-26-2013 10:57 PM

ive used fly repellent suppliments and they work. my old tb gelding used to get such bad fly bites and he was on one. he cleared up in a week and no more bites.
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsecrazy4 01-26-2013 11:19 PM

We use feed thurgh garlize. We also use bacon grease yes bacon grease on them and the flies won't mess w them
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 01-26-2013 11:26 PM

If you provide the horse with a dark shelter with the opening covered with tarps, he will go inside to get away from them. The bugs don't like the dark. Provide the horse with hay in side. He'll come out toward dark when most of the bugs have gone to bed.

PunksTank 01-26-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1864028)
If you provide the horse with a dark shelter with the opening covered with tarps, he will go inside to get away from them. The bugs don't like the dark. Provide the horse with hay in side. He'll come out toward dark when most of the bugs have gone to bed.

My mare has an indoor outdoor stall and is still miserable with bugs. Especially at night. Even soaked in bug spray she gets terrible sweet itch too :( I don't think shade is enough.

shaggy 01-27-2013 12:13 AM

Subbing too because with a black horse its never to early to start thinking about fly protection!

MyBoyPuck 01-27-2013 12:16 AM

I think that sheet will prevent fading. My friend uses one on her dark bay and he seems to stay that way. Mine gets rubs too easily and he does bleach out much more than the sheeted horse. I've never had luck with feed through stuff. I wish they would make a combo spray/sunscreen.

natisha 01-27-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunksTank (Post 1864038)
My mare has an indoor outdoor stall and is still miserable with bugs. Especially at night. Even soaked in bug spray she gets terrible sweet itch too :( I don't think shade is enough.

Can you give her a fan?