The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Please crit my ride (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/please-crit-my-ride-151367/)

Cane Toad 01-26-2013 10:27 PM

Please crit my ride

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, these are some of the only photos i have of me riding. They aren't very good but i was hoping you could help me improve in any way i can. I know i need to really work on heels down, but AJ the horse i ride is super stubborn, so Iím constantly finding myself pressing my heels against him to keep him going, especially when jumping. But other than that anything else I could improve of??
Thanks!!!

Attachment 127155

Attachment 127156

Attachment 127157

Ashsunnyeventer 01-26-2013 11:33 PM

I'd say just relaxing will help you a lot. Although you may not feel tense, you look it (I have this same problem). In the first picture, you have a good line from hip to heel and almost a line from elbow to bit (shorter reins will help). If you relax into your heels, then they won't twist out as much. Focus on using more of your inner calf than the back of your calf (unless you do hunters). Also, relax your elbows. They don't always have to be at your sides. Once you get the correct rein length (which could be shorter than in these pictures), you can move your elbows forwards, backwards, higher or lower. This will give your horse a release without throwing away your contact. For your heels, think about relaxing your ankle and melting down through the stirrups. This way, you aren't pushing down into you heels which causes tension in the ankle and sometimes a chairseat.

I think you could benefit from trotting and cantering in jumping position because that really helps get your weight into your heels as well as establishing balance. Other than that, just lots and lots of practice. You've got good basics- looking where you're going and not resting on your horses mouth (I've always thought it's better to have a hand that's too soft than one that's too heavy). Cute horse :) Keep up the good work!

MISSMELODY 01-31-2013 02:36 PM

Flat looks nice, but the jumping photo, biger relese, hands further up the neck and back straight, hips back. Practice two point while troting aroud the ring. Do this lots!!! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

MakeYourMark 02-07-2013 10:56 PM

The others have said enough in way of a critique, but I will add:

You should not use your heel to cue anything. Your cues should come from your upper calves.

:)

Skyseternalangel 02-13-2013 02:14 AM

On the flat, your contact is not consistent. Sometimes it's VERY tight, other times it's too loose. I can't tell if this is deliberate or if you have some trouble following the contact throughout the ride.

I can't comment on the jumping picture as I don't jump..

Try to point your toes forward instead of overly out. Not perfectly straight.. but at the moment you don't have any calf on the horse..

You seem confident :)

Free Flyer 02-13-2013 05:48 PM

Everyone here gave you good advise.

My only addition is this.

Your biggest problem is you are anticipating the jumps and are jumping ahead of the horse. You need to wait and let the jump come to you.

Cane Toad 02-14-2013 03:10 AM

Hey guys,
Thank you so much for all the advice, i will work on everything and look forward to improving my riding.

Yes i am aware i have a tight rein in one photo and loose in the next. But i was shorting my reins in the last photo (i think)

Thank you, i will try and wait until the jump comes to me :) i am very aware of that problem, and try had to stop it :)
Thanks