The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Muscle tremors/trembling (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/muscle-tremors-trembling-151398/)

ponyxpress 01-27-2013 09:34 AM

Muscle tremors/trembling

Hoping for some insight. My 7yr old Belgianx mare has this past fall/winter started having muscle tremors/trembling plus heavy sweating while riding her in anxiety producing situations. She doesn't have trouble moving and her muscles aren't tight (like in tying-up). If she gets amped up/ nervous this happens. Any thoughts? It's not every ride, but it's happening more often than not. Only happened once about 2 years ago when she got stressed on a camping trip but quickly subsided. I'm stumped.

Thanks for any ideas.

Saddlebag 01-27-2013 09:39 AM

Maybe time to have the vet check her. How much salt is she getting? You need to offer her loose salt, such as iodized table salt or pickling salt as well. Horses who use a lick don't take in enough salt. Put a cup in a seperate bucket and keep an eye on it. I mix both salts. The horses prefer the coarse pickling but it isn't iodized. My lick is 4 yrs old and only half gone yet I've gone thro many pounds of the household salts.

Trinity3205 01-27-2013 11:03 AM

Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy - CVM - UMEC, University of Minnesota

Id treat her like a PSSM horse and change her diet and see what happens.

ponyxpress 01-27-2013 11:24 AM

thanks for your replies. she has a free choice salt lick but the others seem to use it more. I'll try loose salt in her feed, have used electrolytes in the past but wasn't paying much mind to see if it correlated. may get a blood test to see if she's deficient anywhere. as for PSSM, the symptoms don't seem to match up but I have kept her on a similar diet. hmmm

Trinity3205 01-27-2013 11:30 AM

The other option is to try supplementing magnesium. Is this horse overweight/chunky? Easy keeper? Even if the horse doesnt have all the signs of PSSM, you can still do the test and make sure. NOt every horse will show the same and the sweating and tremors as well as anxiety during stress and work are two signs of PSSM.

Trinity3205 01-27-2013 03:14 PM

One other thing...I just noticed this is a Draft cross. (Im assuming you meant Belgian draft horse?) Crossed with what? HYPP could be a possibility also.

ponyxpress 01-27-2013 05:58 PM

thanks...she is a Belgianx, with QH, although you wouldn't know there's any QH in there! I thought of HYPP as well but again her symptoms didn't seem to match up to anything I researched. Didn't see that about PSSM...as far as the anxiety and such. I am supplementing her with magnesium, which I was doing before and then stopped so I was wondering if that was part of it. Of course I can't really test her yet as the ground is a mess.

franknbeans 01-27-2013 06:15 PM

Keep in mind that no 2 horses, just like people, are necessarily alike, so she may not totally "match up" with internet symptoms of anything. I would suggest you send in tail hair for many of the genetic diseases-you never know, and it is pretty reasonable. It is winter, and you have the time. You may just come up with an answer, and if not, you will have that as extra info if you need the vet to come out and help diagnose her.

ponyxpress 01-27-2013 06:34 PM

I do realize that and of course the internet can be a double edged sword when it comes to self diagnosis. But you peaked my interest with the tail hair? where do send a sample and how pricey is that?

paintedpastures 01-27-2013 06:48 PM

With the your horse's breeding & symptoms, Agree that I'd want to check for PSSM & Hypp:-). You just need to pull mane or tail hairs & send in { usually $30-35 per test} popular lab to use Site Map