The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Greyhound lines (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/greyhound-lines-151428/)

BarrelWannabe 01-27-2013 04:34 PM

Greyhound lines

So, I know this is a very random subject. I'm looking at taking a greyhound back to Oklahoma and I just wanted to see if anyone has positive/negative feedback to give.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 01-27-2013 05:00 PM

As long as you're not stuck next to a sweaty 300 lbs person in 100 heat on a bus with a broken air conditioning, they're OK. I travelled that way a bunch when I was young. If you're traveling alone, be careful getting off for a break at the stops...in some towns they're in pretty sleazy neighborhoods.
Posted via Mobile Device

WSArabians 01-27-2013 05:33 PM

Or a crazy person that beheads you... :shock:

Foxhunter 01-27-2013 06:29 PM

It is not often that I get frightened but I caught a Greyhound bus from Kansas City. I had to be there at least 30 minutes before the bus was leaving and, as I was given a lift there, I had an hour+ to wait.

Never before had I encountered so many very weird people, one was particularly nasty and a woman at that!

mtngrl7500 01-27-2013 10:25 PM

I have never personally ridden one, but my brother and a cousin decided to travel the country via Greyhound after they graduated HS. Not too far in, they decided a plane ride home would be best...if that tells you anything. He said there were some very, very interesting characters aboard those buses.

Breella 01-28-2013 09:14 AM

I ride them a few times a year when I am too lazy to drive to see my parents. Most have wifi now, many of the drivers I have are very nice and most riders keep to themselves.

wetrain17 01-28-2013 09:29 AM

I think it'll be hit or miss depending on what group of people you'll get. You'll either wont mind it or you'll regret your decision 10 minutes in. Its up to you if you want to risk it.

Taffy Clayton 01-28-2013 09:46 AM

Have you considered Amtrack? More room on a train and you can walk around, and it usually is faster.

PaintHorseMares 01-28-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton (Post 1866122)
Have you considered Amtrack? More room on a train and you can walk around, and it usually is faster.

I do prefer Amtrak, but you're very limited destination-wise. Greyhound goes almost anywhere.

peppersgirl 01-28-2013 10:55 AM

I have never ridden on a greyhound..But last year and a few other times I have ridden amtrak.. As far as price goes.. you CAN'T beat it. $327 got me from Lincoln, NE to Emeryville, CA and back. certainly would not have been able to drive for that price:)

Things to consider (and I would imagine this would be WORSE on a bus): amtrak has 24 hour car attendants that keep stuff clean.. the bathrooms are still icky.. And being stuck in one of those seats for more that a 24 hour period SUCKS..and you have to hope you don't get stuck next to some nasty that has his eye on your stuff, or wants to talk your ear off.. or wants to sleep on you.. Maybe on a bus its different, but usually on amtrak you get assigned seating.

One more thing to consider- you have to know your chit to become a train conductor.. A bus driver?? Not so much... They can and do hire Anybody- hell they even hired my best friends father, and he is NUTTIER THAN A PET COON.. how he didn't cause an accident at his several month long stint as a GH driver, I will never know..

I say IF you can afford to and have a good car.. DRIVE.