The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   How high should a 12 year old jump? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/how-high-should-12-year-old-151441/)

championjumper101 01-27-2013 06:56 PM

How high should a 12 year old jump?

Im twelve and i jump about 4' how high do you think I should be jumping, is it too low, too high, or just right?:-)

JaphyJaphy 01-27-2013 07:21 PM

Seems quite high for someone your age.

aerie 01-27-2013 07:24 PM

It does seem a bit high, but if your trainer/coach/riding instructor thinks that you are ready to jump at that height then more power to ya! However, if you are doing it just to push yourself (not that I am saying you are by any means :) ) take a step back and ask yourself why you want to jump that high... If it is because you are ready, and I mean really ready, then go for it. But if it is because you just want to see if you can do it then I wouldn't. It isn't about high high you can jump but about how WELL you can jump :) just my two cents

championjumper101 01-27-2013 07:24 PM

I grew up riding and lived on a ranch for most of my life. Moved just last year. My instuctor has been with me forever she told me to try it and said I did well now just have to work on form!:)

churumbeque 01-27-2013 07:58 PM

I would go on ability and experience. Age shouldn't matter.

JumpingJiminy 01-27-2013 10:34 PM

From what I gathered from this, your trainer pointed you at a 4ft jump and said go? How much experience do you have? Was it a one time thing? Age really doesn't matter all that much, it's all about the experience..

JaphyJaphy 01-27-2013 10:56 PM

Keeping in mind that there is a line where you need to be a certain age before having a certain amount of experience. :D

Oxer 01-27-2013 11:11 PM

The kind of accuracy necessary, the kind of horse necessary, and the kind of riding skill necessary for someone that regularly negotiates a 4 foot fence, to even be asking this kind of question... makes me think... hmmmm i don't think so.

alexischristina 01-27-2013 11:19 PM

I think there's a large difference between being able to jump a 4ft line or a single 4ft vertical, and it's lovely that you can do so! I can honestly say that if my coach set me a line / grid with a 4ft finish I'd be able to do it without hesitation, we've done 3'9 without a hitch so why not? That said... I couldn't navigate a 4ft course, I just don't have enough experience, and I've been riding longer than you've been alive, so I'm going to give you a word of caution- just because you've jumped a 4ft fence, please please do not try to do it again on your own. It's very different and chances are you'll get yourself hurt.

CJ82Sky 02-05-2013 10:17 AM

4' or 4"?