The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is my horse drinking (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-horse-drinking-151456/)

mistysms 01-27-2013 08:51 PM

Is my horse drinking

Let me start from the beginning lol. I have two horses that I kept at my friends house with 3 of her horses. I moved my horses yesterday to a family friends land. There is 3 horse out there already. I put my horses in with the other 3 and no fight, kicking no nothing. My two are just keeping there distance. They wait tell the other 3 horse leave the round bale of hay before they go up and eat. I showed them both where the water was 3 or 4 times ( I walk them over and splash the water a little and they drink) I was wondering if I should keep walking them over there a few times a day and showing it to them and how long should I keep doing that? I always worry to much because I love my horse and don't want them to get sick from not drinking. Thank you so much for your help!!

waresbear 01-27-2013 09:06 PM

They have more than likely figured the water situation unless one of the horses is guarding it but since no one is guarding the roundbale, I doubt that. But if you are worried, keep taking them over to the water so you can ease your mind.
Posted via Mobile Device

nvr2many 01-27-2013 09:07 PM

I am sorry but when I saw this I was like, why is your booze missing, bah ha ha. :-)

mistysms 01-27-2013 09:11 PM

I think I will still take them over there for the next few days. Just cuz I worry. And I retread my title and yes it sure sounds funny haha

Sharpie 01-27-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvr2many (Post 1865477)
I am sorry but when I saw this I was like, why is your booze missing, bah ha ha. :-)

LOL, that was my thought too! :D

Horses key in on the important things- food and water, very well. They probably had it after the first time you showed them.

mistysms 01-27-2013 09:18 PM

Thank you. That makes me worry less about being at their new home

LexusK 01-27-2013 09:26 PM

You can check your horses for dehydration if you are worried that they aren't drinking.

How to check for dehydration:

1) Skin pinch test: Gently pinch your horses skin in the middle of their neck. If the horse is dehydrated, the skin will not flatten and relax right away and can take upto 10 seconds to return to normal. If your horse is adequately hydrated, the skin will fall back into place right away.

2) Capillary refill time: Gently press your finger or thumb into your horses gums. If the horse is dehydrated, the gums will stay a white/pale for a little bit before returning to the healthy pink colour it is supposed to be.

You could also offer the horses in the field free choice salt (loose salt, not salt block), which will encourage water intake. It is an inexpensive way to help promote healthy hydration in the herd throughout the winter months.

mistysms 01-27-2013 09:33 PM

Like loose salt just on the ground? Or in a little bowl? I will check her gums tomorrow thank you

Shropshirerosie 01-27-2013 09:51 PM

Horses can smell water. They knew where it was way before you led them to it and splashed them... And from what you said there is no major bullying going on so I imagine they are getting to it just fine too.

I really really think you can stop worrying.:-)

mistysms 01-27-2013 10:01 PM

Well I worry because there is one mare who is not the nicest and kind of mean. Also I worry because the tank is very different then the one they are used too. But yes I think I could stop worrying so much lol