The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Think twice (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/think-twice-151458/)

Werdna16 01-27-2013 10:12 PM

Think twice

I believe in traing a horse with natural horsemanship but you can never trust what some people have done with a horse. I bought a mare not to long ago and the owner said she had been taught with natural horsemanship and was well trained but when I rode her, she had no brakes and would try to take off with me. It also took me an hour just to get her ready to ride, she was horrifide of the saddle and the bridle. She is also horrifide of water and people. When we bought her she had scars all over her body and she was so skinny. I don't blame natural horsemanship at all but think twice about the horses education and be weary for the first ride, just in case the horse isn't as well educated as the owner thinks.
Posted via Mobile Device

JaphyJaphy 01-27-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werdna16 (Post 1865486)
I believe in traing a horse with natural horsemanship but you can never trust what some people have done with a horse. I bought a mare not to long ago and the owner said she had been taught with natural horsemanship and was well trained but when I rode her, she had no brakes and would try to take off with me. It also took me an hour just to get her ready to ride, she was horrifide of the saddle and the bridle. She is also horrifide of water and people. When we bought her she had scars all over her body and she was so skinny. I don't blame natural horsemanship at all but think twice about the horses education and be weary for the first ride, just in case the horse isn't as well educated as the owner thinks.
Posted via Mobile Device

So you bought a horse without riding/examining it first? Think twice about that!

Kilokitty 01-27-2013 11:02 PM

Did you even get a PPE? It's like saying the dog bit you when you stuck your hand in its mouth.

usandpets 01-27-2013 11:08 PM

Do you buy clothes or shoes without trying them on first?

No different with horses. Try them out first or deal with what you get.
Posted via Mobile Device

tbcrazy 01-27-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilokitty
Did you even get a PPE? It's like saying the dog bit you when you stuck your hand in its mouth.

Yep, took the words right out of my mouth.

usandpets 01-28-2013 12:06 AM

Ya know, the OP is a new member and very well could be a first time horse owner. We should give the benefit of doubt and not be too harsh. We all want to trust the people we deal with but truth is we do need to be realistic that people aren't always honest. We can only live and learn from our mistakes and share them with others to help prevent them from happening to others.
Posted via Mobile Device

hberrie 01-28-2013 12:38 AM

Werdna16--You just learned your first hard lesson I suppose? Obviously you were lied to about your horses backing...so you either unload him....or learn to train/hire a trainer to help you. Depends on your willingness to suffer pain whether physically or financially.

clairegillies 01-28-2013 07:16 AM

Werdn16, I hope you are okay and that you can still build a relationship with your new horse and I'm sure you will be able to make all the 'claims' true in time.
perhaps the horse is just too anxious about its new place to remember its training for just now.
I know my pony hates a change in enviroment, when I bought and moved her I spent about three weeks ground work and getting to know the area before I rode her out as I'm sure we would have had no brakes and no brains at that time too.
beat wishes
Claire

Dustbunny 01-28-2013 12:47 PM

Werdna16...Sorry you are having this experience, and I'm sorry for the horse, too.
A seller can make all kinds of claims but obviously this one made a terrible mess of their horse, or someone did. Now you get to fix it. You know, I would have a vet check her out to make sure there are no physical problems and that the tack you are using fits, then start with Basic Ground Training 101. It will be a slow process to build her trust but with patience and consistancy, and knowledge, a lot can be accomplished.
Good luck to you and your new horse.

sillyhorses 01-28-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werdna16 (Post 1865486)
Posted via Mobile Device

As was said: why did you buy the horse without first inspecting it?

And... for the life of me, I will never understand why a person would go to a stranger's house (who clearly does not want their horse for one reason or another), and hop on without having someone first demo the horse under saddle. If for no other reason, than to observe the rider's techniques when riding... Main reason being to witness horse's behavior under saddle... you know, so you are prepped if horse bolts, or bucks... or rears. Or whatever. Good grief!

Anyhow... now that you seem to have learned that lesson, hope you seek the advice of trainer. Just because a person says they train using a certain method does not, in ANY WAY, indicate the horse's level of sensitivity/reactivity to certain stimuli...