The Horse Forum banner

Biweekly Horse Portraits

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  HorseCrazyTeen 
#1 ·
For 2013 I plan on making two horse portraits per week. I gave myself the first two weeks off to get myself about sorted after Christmas so it's going to be 100 horsies!

Seeing that I'm doing some* horses from this site I thought I'd make a thread for these things. Just give you all chance to see how soon I slack off. :)

Week 1 - Crescent and Moonie

Both A6, Crescent w/c pencils and coloured pencil, Moonie 2B pencil.

* At first I thought I'd be fun to find all models from here, but the Art Requests forum is seriously neglected. :(

See less See more
#5 ·
Projects are always a great idea! Gives you the motivation to actually have to get something done. 100 in total seems like quite a bit. ;) I'm currently doing a 20 piece project, different categories and so on. I don't know if you noticed but I tried setting up a resource thread. Seems like not many people are using it though, but I do have a few pictures on there and so does Creampuff.

Anyhow great drawings, looking forward to see all the pictures!

#6 ·
I've done similar projects before. You will be surprised at the amount of progress you will make doing this and tracking it in the form of an art journal as you are doing here. It will also give you opportunities to dabble in new techniques. Can't wait to follow this thread and see how your drawings look from week to week (although your first couple drawings are great to begin with).

#8 ·
Thanks all !!

Horsesdontlie, yeah, I do like 'em projects! I've previously done several of the painting-a-day, breed list, word prompt variety. And I'm the first to admit I've failed practically every single one of them. :D So 100 is a challenge, but a doable one! Especially if I cheat and do just quick off-the-cuff sketches like these.

And I noticed your ref topic. It's a great resource! I will be watching it closely, though I'm quite in love with the idea of doing only HF members' horses for this challenge... Provided I can find enough subjects from the art requests. :wink:

#9 ·
Haha, well good luck with yours! I too typically fail in my projects just because I always seem to lack dedication. ;) I forget then before I know it its been 3 months. Though I think I am breaking a record with continuously drawing for upwards of 3 months now.

I have been finding out that doing quick sketches is what is helping me. That way I am able to just get it done, notice its flaws and move on and improve. I also am getting things down better the first time then when I overanalyze all the small details right away.

Well anything in my resources labeled Jake Stock is of my personal horse, so if any of those catch your eye, go at it. ;)

#13 ·
I have some pictures in the art requests forum of you'd like them to choose from.

That colored pencil one is really good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.