The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Breathing?! (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/breathing-151471/)

DukeTinCans1313 01-27-2013 10:22 PM

Breathing?!

As of now, im in a gymkhana series for 8 weeks. We run barrels, poles, and a 'mystery' event. Last week, I went into the arena to run poles and distinctly remember taking a deep breath, as i always do. My aunt stood nearest the end pole (1st) and as soon as i was finished loosening Duke (We ran a 21.6!! Whoop whoop (; ), i noticed i was almost breathing as hard as he was... Now i know its a lot of work, but should i really be breathing THAT hard?! Anyways, my aunt comes up to me and says 'I dont think you breathe when you make a run...'

Do any of you guys have this problem? I never noticed. Ever.

If so, how do you fix it? I dont think just saying, 'Focus on taking breaths during a run.' is going to help. I already have so many things to focus on. Any advice at all would be helpful! :D

EthanQ 01-27-2013 10:36 PM

Had that probllem too. Singing quietly to yourself encourages breathing.

GamingGrrl 01-27-2013 10:39 PM

I hold my breath during my runs too :lol: mouth breathing seems to help a little bit, but depending on how dusty it is, you might not want to be inhaling that much arena dirt :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

DukeTinCans1313 01-27-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EthanQ (Post 1865667)
Had that probllem too. Singing quietly to yourself encourages breathing.

Like before you run? I usually sing with my cousin out loud a lot while we're sitting there waiting...Should i start quielty singing or loud singing work too? (:

DukeTinCans1313 01-27-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamingGrrl (Post 1865676)
I hold my breath during my runs too :lol: mouth breathing seems to help a little bit, but depending on how dusty it is, you might not want to be inhaling that much arena dirt :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

Phew! At least im not the only one! :D I just cant remember to breath! I ALWAYS tell myself to breathe as im running in the gate, but obviously, it doesnt work! ;) And yess, the arena is quite dusty,, but ill try it!