The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   English Saddle Question - New Rider (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/english-saddle-question-new-rider-151518/)

NordicMan 01-28-2013 01:05 PM

English Saddle Question - New Rider
 
Hi again --

Question about saddles - specifically size. Since starting riding last July, I've lost about 35 lbs. I am a 45 year old male, 5'9" and weigh about 200 lbs.

Whe I started riding, I used a school saddle size 19 1/2." About 2 months ago, my instructor started making overtures about me finding a better fitting saddle. We went to a local tack shop, and tried a very nice 18." It was too small. She ended up fiding me a usable 19" in school storage. It's actually a pretty nice saddle.

That said, I's like to be able to come down to the 18 1/2" or even 18" saddle size.

QUESTION - Will loosing more weight (I would like to loose another 20-30 lbs) push me to a smaller saddle size, or is saddle size also a function of body frame? When I sit in the saddles, It seems like I would need to go to very thin thighs and pelvis to go down ..

I have to also say my "butt" really isn't where I carry my weight. Its mosly gut, and I also have larger size thighs.

My main reason for asking is for when I may decide to get my own saddle; anything over 18" is near impossible to find. :-P

Speed Racer 01-28-2013 01:08 PM

Your weight isn't necessary the determining factor in saddle seat size. The length of your thighs has a lot to do with it, as well.

If the 19" fits, why would you want to go down a half size or more?

NordicMan 01-28-2013 01:27 PM

Trying to find a 19" saddle has been difficult ... right now the one I'm using is borrowed.

OutOfTheLoop 01-28-2013 01:34 PM

I don't imagine you can go by weight in English sizes no more than you can in western. I know people that weigh the same as me (145 lbs), that ride in up to a 16" saddle, where I ride in a 14 1/2. It gas a lot to do with your build not just your weight in lbs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 01-28-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NordicMan (Post 1866331)
Trying to find a 19" saddle has been difficult ... right now the one I'm using is borrowed.

Okay, gotcha. 18.5" is a pretty big seat as well and easier to find than 19", but still not a walk in the park. Most adult English seats range from 17"-18". I can ride comfortably in a 17", but I prefer a 17.5".

OutOfTheLoop 01-28-2013 01:41 PM

Since the one your currently using had to be dug out of storage, ask if you can purchase it?
Posted via Mobile Device

freia 01-28-2013 10:45 PM

Can you go to a tack store or consignment store or lessons barn to test-fit a few saddles in different sizes? I would say that at least 3 things affect your seat size: Thigh-length, butt-size, and saddle-style (deep-seat gives less room, pancake-seat gives more room, big knee-blocks scrunch you, etc).

19" seems big for you. I'd love to see you try a few different sizes and styles. You should not feel scrunched. You should not feel like you have "slop". You should feel supported. the reason I say 19" seems pretty big for the body numbers you gave, is because my husband is 6'0" and 195 pounds, and fits beautifully in a 17.5" saddle (flat seat, moderate knee blocks and thin knee-rolls), and my father was 6'3" and 240 pounds and rode in a very flat, plain-flap 18".

verona1016 01-29-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freia (Post 1867341)
my husband is 6'0" and 195 pounds, and fits beautifully in a 17.5" saddle (flat seat, moderate knee blocks and thin knee-rolls)

My husband is about the same height/weight and looked super uncomfortable in the 17.5" saddle I used to ride in. I could see him needing at least an 18.5", but probably bigger. Longer legs maybe?

JumperForLife 02-17-2013 08:24 PM

What size you need depends a lot on the saddle type/structure and your natural build. I'm about 120 lbs but I ride in a 17.5" regular flap show jumping saddle. But if I were in a saddle with an extended flap, I could ride in a 17"... so maybe looking at a different style would allow you to use a smaller saddle.

upnover 02-17-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freia (Post 1867341)
Can you go to a tack store or consignment store or lessons barn to test-fit a few saddles in different sizes? I would say that at least 3 things affect your seat size: Thigh-length, butt-size, and saddle-style (deep-seat gives less room, pancake-seat gives more room, big knee-blocks scrunch you, etc).

19" seems big for you. I'd love to see you try a few different sizes and styles. You should not feel scrunched. You should not feel like you have "slop". You should feel supported. the reason I say 19" seems pretty big for the body numbers you gave, is because my husband is 6'0" and 195 pounds, and fits beautifully in a 17.5" saddle (flat seat, moderate knee blocks and thin knee-rolls), and my father was 6'3" and 240 pounds and rode in a very flat, plain-flap 18".

This. Losing weight isn't really going to do a whole lot for saddle fit unless your thighs shrink in length too. :D Different brands tend to fit differently too so I'd try as many as you can. My 17 delgrange fits me perfectly even though I'm a 16.5 in most other brands, but it has a fairly deep seat. (the size comes from the measurement from the little screw button at the front of the top flap to the middle of the cantle) 19 will be hard to find but not impossible. But the good news is they're hard to sell too so you might be able to find a good deal! I'd call around to as many consignment places as you can find. Good luck


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0